The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do these room dimensions look ok? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Do these room dimensions look ok?

I'm looking at renting a new room, which is slightly larger than our old one, except in height. We have the acoustic treatment that was professionally designed that will almost fit into this space with a bit taken from the tops. Our current studio is 5.43 long x 4.2 wide x 3.5 height - so we are losing a bit of ceiling hight but gaining extra length.

The new room is 6.2 x 4.5 x 3m

How does this look in comparison?
Attached Thumbnails
Do these room dimensions look ok?-old-room.jpg   Do these room dimensions look ok?-new-room.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Ben,

Modaly speaking, you are going from bad to worse.

Instead of trying to treat the bad dimensions, can you build out a wall or ceiling to change the dimensions?

-John
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Yes we could do, it would be possible to build a wall at the back.

What would be the best dimensions if that were the case? Why is it worse than the current room? I have included a picture of the current room.
Attached Thumbnails
Do these room dimensions look ok?-studio_large.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Nice. Very nice looking. Kind of like you are trying for ESS but not quite. (I do ESS or Ambechoic designs) You needed a whole lot more trapping in that room from the looks of it (knowing the modal issues)

But you do have modal issues. Double incidences in that room and even more in the room your are moving to. It is best to correct these issues physically before treatment.

How does this room sound & how do your mixes translate?

OK, for your new room: The side walls and ceiling are what is causing the problem. Dropping the ceiling by 3cm will make it nice. Add 2 layers of 15mm gypsum to the ceiling and you are good.

Cheers,
John
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Yes we could do, it would be possible to build a wall at the back.

What would be the best dimensions if that were the case? Why is it worse than the current room? I have included a picture of the current room.
My god, that's an ATR. First picture of one I've seen on this site since I joined.

In a studio setting anyway.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Nice. Very nice looking. Kind of like you are trying for ESS but not quite. (I do ESS or Ambechoic designs) You needed a whole lot more trapping in that room from the looks of it (knowing the modal issues)

But you do have modal issues. Double incidences in that room and even more in the room your are moving to. It is best to correct these issues physically before treatment.

How does this room sound & how do your mixes translate?

OK, for your new room: The side walls and ceiling are what is causing the problem. Dropping the ceiling by 3cm will make it nice. Add 2 layers of 15mm gypsum to the ceiling and you are good.

Cheers,
John
Thanks. It sounds very good in the drivers seat and on the lounge, but you can't move too far away from the 'sweet spot' which is also due to the ATC SCM50s. It's a mastering room, been going 10 years so many happy clients and the mastering translates well.

Those graphs are obviously just for the basic measurements. Chris Morton from ARO Technology did the acoustics- he has done some lovely studios. I agree that we may require some more trapping, there is mostly diffusion on the back wall and small corner traps.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris Morton from ARO Technology did the acoustics- he has done some lovely studios. I agree that we may require some more trapping, there is mostly diffusion on the back wall and small corner traps.
That is awesome! Mr. Morton has my respect. I have read some papers he wrote on the subject of "Early Sound Field Control in Critical Listening Areas"...

and YES, that is a beautiful sight (ATR-102). Half inch?

Cheers,
John
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
That is awesome! Mr. Morton has my respect. I have read some papers he wrote on the subject of "Early Sound Field Control in Critical Listening Areas"...

and YES, that is a beautiful sight (ATR-102). Half inch?

Cheers,
John
Yes, half inch, lovely machine.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Ben F, that's a very very cool studio!
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. It sounds very good in the drivers seat and on the lounge, but you can't move too far away from the 'sweet spot' which is also due to the ATC SCM50s. It's a mastering room, been going 10 years so many happy clients and the mastering translates well.
I realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to say 1) nice vibe in your studio, and 2) ATC SCM50's have a huge sweet spot in my experience. They have high dispersion and sound great even far off axis.

Cheers

Kris
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search