The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Owens Corning Basement System - Mold prevention in walls Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

ok - I'm learning a lot...

Found a big ass dehumidifier called a sante fe classic...not cheap but looks like the right one.

So - I have one concrete block wall in the basement that the studio will butt up against. How should I construct and finish this one wall of the studio?

• Use 2 x 4 's and leave a few inches between them and the concrete wall? If I do that, I won't put drywall on the outer wall...only the inner wall of the studio...is it ok to have fiberglass against the concrete?
  • Use the owens-corning foam board stuff glued to the concrete block? How do I then cover that with Drywall?

That brings up a new question...

Is it better to use fabric or drywall in the basement studio? I presume the drywall adds sound deadening, which is important to me. Also will need to try and prevent sound from going straight up into the house...

PS - 666666 if you don't sell any of your sound isolation stuff real soon, maybe I can figure a way to get it from NYC to VT. I'll need it all. Maybe even a pair of the API filters!
Old 2nd May 2013
Here for the gear

Certified Mold Inspection

Mold is one of the worst enemies your home can have. Once growth begins, it can spread and grow in your home or even yourself. Its growth can also cause deterioration in the structural integrity of your home through fungal growth and rot.

It grows in areas with excess moisture, which can be caused by a variety of factors. If not treated properly and in a timely manner, it could lead to health problems.

When airborne mold spores are present in large numbers, they can cause allergic reactions, asthma episodes, infections, and other respiratory problems for people. Exposure to high spore levels can cause the development of an allergy to the mold. Similarly, when wood goes through a period of wetting, then drying, it can eventually warp and cause walls to crack or become structurally weak.
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Nut

I'm sorry I skipped damn near the whole thread after the first two posts but as a house painter who used to do mold remediation I would think simple block sealer and drywall is enough for most basements. If you have water issues tackle them from outside first, divert the water away from the foundation of the house. Completely dry basement systems are super pricey, if your basement is average I would say its unnecessary. Now if you have red clay against the foundation and your yard slopes down on all four sides towards the walls of your house in Seattle. Call a pro like bone-dri franchise and prepare to spend 8k on complete waterproofing. Most people don't need such extreme measures, and Sheetrock always looks better

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search