The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The official real wood paneling thread
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

No.
Good then. I'm going for it.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxon View Post
I guess 9 years later, this is a very relevant yet undiscussed matter.

The room is about 3 meters in height sloping to 2 meters on the right side X 4 meters wide x 5 meters deep and I use basically to record and mix.

Will this type of wood act as a diffuser? I definitely need more "air" in the room for recor4ding, but fear it might mess with my mixes.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the ressurection.
Physics dictates that any irregular surface will refract and/or reflect and/or absorb any sound striking the surface. In "practical" terms, the characteristic frequency response curve of the surface is ultimately dependent upon it's mass. The more mass, the harder the surface, the more reflection and refraction the greater the diffusion (at whatever frequency). (e.g. Inverse et al)

The amount of diffusion is also dependent upon the physical shape(s) of the irregular surface.

Most people use known mathematical parameters when building diffusers.

After you spend some time looking up quadratic diffusers, I would spend some time looking at Helmholtz resonator calculators to compare these functions to your material. (It never hurts to double check if you aren't going to cause more problems than you fix.)

Without knowing all of the specifics of your room, you're kinda' taking a chance. But if the numbers look pretty good, I'd see no problem using it on something like a rear wall.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Caulk, Mud, Tape & Mud, primer behind wood slats

I think this is relative to the topic...

Somewhere I read Rod say that if you are going to have a wood finish on your walls like most all of the studios he designs then you don't need to do a 3 step tape & mud process. Just 1 layer is all you need to tape & mud since it will get covered up.

2 layers of 5/8" drywall
1st layer... I used backer rod w/ caulk in all corners and caulked all seems.
2nd layer... again backer rod / Caulk all corners

Here's the question... On the last layer of Drywall before the wood goes on what's actually needed? All this is time consuming so saving any unnecessary steps is good.

I am mudding the screw heads.
Where the drywall ends meet would it be smart to
A. Caulk and then mud
B. Caulk and then mud and tape
C. Mud and tape (skip the caulk)
D. Mud only. (easiest )

Is a coating of Primer even necessary? To protect the drywall from mold ect.
It's all going to be covered up.

Thanks & I'm sure this will help others in the future as well.
Old 20th May 2019
For me at Dark Pines Studios (My shop is in the 2nd Ed)
Layer 1 - 3/4" OSB - Caulk and Backer Rod along the perimeter, caulked seams.
Layer 2 - 5/8" Gypsum - Caulk and Backer Rod along the perimeter, caulked seams. Mud over screws in the field.
Layer 3 - 5/8" Gypsum - Caulk and Backer Rod along the perimeter. Mud and tape over seams. Mud over screws in the field.

I didn't do any primer coats... but do note that I did mud and tape the final layer. I didn't take it to a "finished wall" state. Just to the point that the seams were properly filled - so as to present a uniform flat surface for the furring strips to mount to.

Note too that the layers went up perpendicular to each other. My first layer (OSB) went up horizontal, the 1st layer of gypsum was vertical, and the 3rd layer was horizontal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddionut View Post
I think this is relative to the topic...

Somewhere I read Rod say that if you are going to have a wood finish on your walls like most all of the studios he designs then you don't need to do a 3 step tape & mud process. Just 1 layer is all you need to tape & mud since it will get covered up.

2 layers of 5/8" drywall
1st layer... I used backer rod w/ caulk in all corners and caulked all seems.
2nd layer... again backer rod / Caulk all corners

Here's the question... On the last layer of Drywall before the wood goes on what's actually needed? All this is time consuming so saving any unnecessary steps is good.

I am mudding the screw heads.
Where the drywall ends meet would it be smart to
A. Caulk and then mud
B. Caulk and then mud and tape
C. Mud and tape (skip the caulk)
D. Mud only. (easiest )

Is a coating of Primer even necessary? To protect the drywall from mold ect.
It's all going to be covered up.

Thanks & I'm sure this will help others in the future as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search