The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studios with a circular shape Sequencers (HW)
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Studios with a circular shape

I have been told so many times that the more your studio/vocal booth is of the shape of a circle the better the acoustics are...(hence no sharp corners, etc)

If I was to build a circular vocal booth, and a circular drum room (not a perfect circle, but something close to it), would that be a good idea?

Why or why not?

If not, what shape should be in generally, before I begin treating the room with absorbers and diffusers?
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

Someone has steered you completely wrong. Circles are in fact the most problematic shapes for purpose built audio: monitoring or tracking. Mid & hi freq are focused and low frequencies swirl. Extremely difficult to remedy.

Rectangle, rectangle rectangle: of any dimension is treatable. Best is to optimize relation of L, W and H for a truly functional space.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Round shapes have some strange habits of energy buildup especially when either the sound source or the microphone is in the middle of the room.

Also standing waves are quite an issue because the room dimention is exactly the same everywhere. And that is why square rooms are also avoided.

I would suggest to try to make 5 corner polygon shapes instead of round shapes.

No parralel walls no sharp corners and reasonably easy to build.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

Be carefull with geometric shapes for sake of geometric shapes. You can quickly have issues that cannot be solved easily.

Yes, certain angled walls and room shapes are the BEST spaces. Don't guess though.

A rectangular space will always be predictable, thus treatable.

I guess it comes down to your goals and resources. Maybe it comes down to the difference between having a "room" and having a "facility".

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
I was involved in a desk fitment at a studio in England with a circular room with dome ceiling.
The desk was a 'horsehoe' shape in the middle. The owner wished to stand at the desk for many of the activities, practically in the centre of the room.
The upshot was that when you spoke you could hear your voice focussed a few feet behind you, VERY odd!
Matt S
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
I was involved in a desk fitment at a studio in England with a circular room with dome ceiling.
The desk was a 'horsehoe' shape in the middle. The owner wished to stand at the desk for many of the activities, practically in the centre of the room.
The upshot was that when you spoke you could hear your voice focussed a few feet behind you, VERY odd!
Matt S
Oh yea, last time I was in Las Vegas there was this smaller lobby with a dome ceiling. Every time I was in that room I was amazed how bad it sounded. In fact if someone started talking to me I had to answer them in another room. dfegad
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you SO MUCH guys, thanks a lot for clearing that up. I will follow your advice on this as usual (gotta love GearSlutz)
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

I stayed in a hotel and the room/walls ceiling were a perfect dome. When speaking to my girlfriend in certain points of the room it appeared she was in a completely different place, very weird sensation indeed!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

an illusion concept

Heres a thought?? How but it you created a illusion of circular shapes even more so in the corner with fabric. You can do some really creative stuff with curved frame??
Ken
Welcome to Solar2: Custom recording studio acoustic architectural design and construction
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Guru
LOL

Quote:
When speaking to my girlfriend in certain points of the room it appeared she was in a completely different space
I know that feeling Dave......:-)

DD
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

Isn't the main tracking room at Avatar (formerly the Power Station) of a round shape?
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post

DD
heh
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post

DD
+1 heh
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

There's this dude in Glendale AZ with a huge equestrian zoned back yard. Jutting out of the ground,you see a 20 foot pyramid.Going through an unattached garage you decend down a very long hallway to his below ground studio.Calls it Pyramix studio. Freakin amazing acoustics up above.Haven't seen it since he was in the painstakingly slow process (complete DIY) of completing the separate rooms.Lots of time and money,has he!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Take a virtual tour :
Welcome to Pyramix Studios
Paul P
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Guru
Pyramid sound

Wouldn't the sound in a pyramid be very dead :-)

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search