The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FuzzMeasure Graph: Help Me Interpret!
Old 20th November 2009
FuzzMeasure Graph: Help Me Interpret!

Okay, so after a year of designing and building, I'm finally finished with my control room. To my ears it sounds far superior to any other "control room" I've had in the past, but I wanted to get some input on the actual test graphs from Fuzzmeasure.

Info about the room:

Dimensions: 14'L x 12'W x 9' H

I attempted to create an RFZ by placing 4"-thick, 3'x2' (HxW) panels in the front corners, and 2'-thick 3'x2' panels on the side walls just in front of the mix position, as well as a 2"-thick 4'x2' panel on the ceiling, again just in front of the mix position.

The floor is carpeted with no padding underneath.

Anyway, here is the graph:

The green graph represents the left speaker, the blue represents the right. The test was done with the flattest mic I have (an AKG C 414 EB set to omni).

Anyway, I really have no way of interpreting this graph... it looks pretty flat to me, although the lowest mode of the room (around 40Hz) and its 1st and 2nd harmonics seem to be a bit high, which I kind of expected. But I want a second opinion! Does this look good? Bad? How can you tell? Thank you for your time!

-Jesse
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Most of your response is within 10dB, which is pretty good in terms of room acoustics. You do seem to have a bit of a reflection problem in the higer freqs, which could explain the wavy response. But I'd suggest looking at a non-smoothed graph for more specific detail.
I'd add a little more bass trapping, try to get the bass even more linear, but if it sounds good to your ears, and you find you can work well in the room, just go ahead and make music.
Old 22nd November 2009
Thanks for your reply! I'm looking to make this as good as it can get, as it will be a commercial facility (the live room hasn't been built yet, so we're focusing on the control room here.) I haven't treated the side of the room opposite the monitors yet, as I was going for an LEDE control room, and thought I would do something diffusive in the rear wall and corners. Would it be a bad idea to put traps in the rear corners as well?

I'll put up some un-smoothed graphs and pics as soon as possible. Thanks again for chiming in!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Room corners are meant for trapping, so yes, it's a good idea to build bass traps in the rear corners too.
Have you done a waterfall plot? That way you can really analyse your room's bass response.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Guru
Strange

Jesse, commercial facility? I recommend you employ a local acoustician. Much more likely to get a good result than your first time explorations. HOWEVER, that frequency response is remarkably good to my eye. A waterfall plot would be interesting if you get a chance. Corners=Bass Traps etc. that's all 101, see the stuff at RealTraps and GIK.
If you do have a question other than on basics, do come back to us. In the meantime, continued good luck!
DD
Old 23rd November 2009
Thanks for your input, guys! For whatever reason, I could not get the Waterfall plugin to render anything (perhaps it has something to do with the ridiculously awesome display of my new 27" iMac?

Anyway, here's a few (bad) pics of the control room to give you a better idea of what we're working with:

Yes, I like my control room to be very dark! The curtains are obstructing the view of what will be the live room (at present, it's a bunch of drywall and lumber!) The burgundy things are the 4"-thick corner traps I mentioned in the first post.

Here you can see the ceiling absorber (2" thick).

This is the bookshelf-type-thing on the rear wall. May be the source of some problems, but I was a blind believer in bookshelf diffusion when I built it. (Sorry this image is so dark!)

Another overall view.

Also, I ran another test today and exported different smoothing resolutions, so here's what those looked like:

Feel free to ask me any more questions about the room, and I would value any more input. Sorry about the lack of a waterfall plot... dunno what's up with that!

Thank you for your time!

-J.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

The bass is difficult to analyze without a waterfall plot, but you definitely still have a couple of modal problems between 80 and 300Hz. Additional, deep bass traps in the rear corners should take care of those.
The response between 6k and 10kHz looks like you have some comb filtering happening. Try the blanket trick, i.e. put a thick blanket or duvet on your desk when measuring, to find out if its the desk. Your ceiling cloud looks a bit small, I'd make it about twice as long.
But the smoothed response shows that your room response is very even across the entire frequency range, which is great work. So you only have small problems left to solve.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear