The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic guitar acoustics
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Acoustic guitar acoustics

While I have been in the recording arts for quite a while I have a new found interest in building acoustic guitars (steel string). I have tried to apply what I know in terms of recording and acoustics to the acoustic guitar. One of the newer trends in higher end guitars is the sound port. A small about 3" dia port located on the side of the guitar at the upper bout. To my knowledge no one has explained the effect of this as far as the sound goes. I most guitars it increases the over all volume to the player with minimal if any change to the front projection of the guitar.

Just curious for the acousticians here do you think this is the same effect as a ported speaker cabinet? If so exactly how does that work? Or is the upper bout(corner) of the guitar acting as a basstrap?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Richard
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

here is a pic of the port
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic guitar acoustics-img25.gif  
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think this acts as a bass port reflex as in a loudspeaker.

Wiki explains better than I do... without formulas lol
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Guru
Helmholtz

Guitars are only an octave above Bass. They are physically a bit small to support such low frequencies. So, in order to get some bottom end they are designed to broadly resonate at around 90-110Hz. Thump one gently and you will hear it. The hole size is part of what determines the frequency and bandwidth of resonance. A couple of smaller holes will do the same thing. Bass is not really directional. Furthermore there is a bit of string tone bouncing around inside, so this hole is probably quite and effective musician monitor. This is an interesting guitar idea, the single hole in front causes quite a boom exactly where we want to put the mic. Maybe distributed holes will lessen this probem.
DD
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear