Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Room advice for Mastering House pls!

Hello All

I have a room, dimensions or the shell are :
Length 5.371m
Width 4.325m
Height 2.45m

I need some sound 'proofing' but not a particularly large amount, due to having no direct neighbors and low external noise....but I do need some. The shell is made from 1 layer of breezeblocks.

So....the floor will not be floating...exactly. There is a carpet in the room already, and I am planning on laying some flooring grade chipboard over the carpet to rest the walls on....that's it!

Then I will build the new inner walls (spaced 6-10'' from the outer shell) using 4x2'' timber frame. The outside of the new walls will be:
2 layers of 15mm Gyproc Soundshield board, glued and screwed together
1 layer of 10mm Rockwool RW3 (highest density)
1 more layer of 15mm Gyproc Soundhield board
Layer of plaster and paint

This will leave the internal room measurements roughly:
Height: 2.35m
Length 4.8m
Width 3.6m

I am planning on fitting relatively large corner traps, using the Rockwool RW3, large diffuser/bass trap on front wall, large diffuser and bass traps on rear wall, large bass traps on side walls (possibly 2 on each wall, depending on amount of Rockwool left) and bass trap/cloud above listening position. I also have some accoustic foam which can be placed around the room if more mid to high frequency absorption is needed.

Please can you advise me:
How much sound insulation do you think my room will provide (bearing in mind I will be Mastering, so levels prob wont reach much above 85dbspl

What kind of absorbers/diffusers would you reccomend. What do you think to my current plan of action?!!

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by Dave Rose; 16th November 2009 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

I am not as much of a sounding proofing guy so will let the other help on that part. but

Quote:
What kind of absorbers/diffusers would you reccomend. What do you think to my current plan of action?!!
I think the plan you laid out seems fine. You can use the following as a guide.

GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Using Green Glue you can get around 53-57 dB on a Single Stud Wall, that is more than enough for your space

About the room treatment, diffusion can be used on the rear and side walls. dont kill the room with too much absorption

if necessary and if you have the money hire someone to do your acoustical project
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
What kind of absorbers/diffusers would you reccomend.
If you're doing mastering you need as much bass trapping as possible. You're the final arbiter of the balance, so you need to hear as accurately as physically possible. As for diffusion, lining the rear wall behind you is common.

--Ethan
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
If you're doing mastering you need as much bass trapping as possible. You're the final arbiter of the balance, so you need to hear as accurately as physically possible. As for diffusion, lining the rear wall behind you is common.

--Ethan
Thanks...yeah trapping is gunna be a biggie...am i right in thinking the layer of rockwool between the soundshield sheets will provide a little trapping...along of course with the traps inside the room? Is this significant enough to audibly improve the accoustics in the room at all do you think, and if so have you any idea which frequencies this might help?

I was thinking of making a diffuser on the rear wall...made by varying lengths of wood facing outwards into the room (i forget the name of this type) surrounded by some bass traps, and on the front wall having a trap/diffuser made with 3 layers of rockwool, then covered in varying sized panels of wood, to create both absorption and diffusion. Do you know about either of these two methods? And what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Dave Rose; 17th November 2009 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Read previous response properly!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a room, dimensions or the shell are :
Length 5.371m
Width 4.325m
Height 2.45m .....
The shell is made from 1 layer of breezeblocks.
Nice shell dimensions. good modal response.. 57 cu. mtrs.

Quote:
So....the floor will not be floating...exactly. There is a carpet in the room already, and I am planning on laying some flooring grade chipboard over the carpet to rest the walls on....that's it!
IMO, floating the floors isn't always necessary. Do you have high auto traffic in your area? Is there a neighbor below you that you might disturb? Building a wall on top of MDF or chipboard on top of carpet won't do much from an acoustic standpoint.

Quote:
Then I will build the new inner walls (spaced 6-10'' from the outer shell) using 4x2'' timber frame. The outside of the new walls will be:
2 layers of 15mm Gyproc Soundshield board, glued and screwed together
1 layer of 10mm Rockwool RW3 (highest density)
1 more layer of 15mm Gyproc Soundhield board
Layer of plaster and paint
Is that in order?? breeze block wall - 2 layers of 15mm Gyproc - Rockwool - 1 more layer of 15mm Gyproc - Layer of plaster and paint????

This construction is not an effective use of materials. But before I go into that, please clarify. Maybe I misunderstood.

Quote:
I am planning on fitting relatively large corner traps, using the Rockwool RW3, large diffuser/bass trap on front wall, large diffuser and bass traps on rear wall, large bass traps on side walls (possibly 2 on each wall, depending on amount of Rockwool left) and bass trap/cloud above listening position. I also have some accoustic foam which can be placed around the room if more mid to high frequency absorption is needed.
Basically, you have the right idea, but i don't recommend any diffusion for any area that may produce early reflections - like the front. Make sure that your first reflection points have absorptive panels on them and play it by ear from there with absorptive panels around the room. Just make sure you have no untreated walls or wall area facing each other. Polys could help here, especially if you don't want it too dead.

Please let me know your wall construction details. I'd be glad to help.
Cheers!

-- John
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks for the advice John. Glad to hear about good modal response in a room with these dimensions! The shell is breeze blocks....then I am leaving an air gap, which is slightly more on the sides than the front, then the inner wall which is 2 layers of Gyproc 15mm Soundshield (was going to use Green Glue between them, but am trying to save cash where I can, so leaving this for the moment....can always come back to it if necassary, although will involve a bit of work) then a layer of 10mm RW3 Rockwool, then another layer of Soundshield. Is this a goodway of using what I have? I gathered I wanted an air gap between the inner and outer walls to act as a spring, then the dense part of the inner wall on the outside...rockwool, then less dense inner board. Ideally I would have built another breezeblock layer...but building costs would have become too high, I'm trying to get away with the least soundproofing possible as there is little outside noise, including traffic which can get it.

I am building the inner walls in such a way that they can move with me if needs be (London may well be calling in the next year or two). Basically they are all constructed with a wooden frame which goes round the whole perimeter of the board, to create a large panel. These are then bolted together and sealed to form the inner shell, which is fastened on the chipboard and carpet.

The floor below the carpet is concrete....I do believe there is a rehearsal room in the basement, but that is already significantly soundproofed.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The shell is breeze blocks....then I am leaving an air gap, which is slightly more on the sides than the front, then the inner wall which is 2 layers of Gyproc 15mm Soundshield (was going to use Green Glue between them, but am trying to save cash where I can, so leaving this for the moment....can always come back to it if necassary, although will involve a bit of work) then a layer of 10mm RW3 Rockwool, then another layer of Soundshield. Is this a good way of using what I have?
No. You will have much more transmission loss if you remove the outer layer of Soundshield. - it will save you some money too.

Quote:
I am building the inner walls in such a way that they can move with me if needs be (London may well be calling in the next year or two). Basically they are all constructed with a wooden frame which goes round the whole perimeter of the board, to create a large panel. These are then bolted together and sealed to form the inner shell, which is fastened on the chipboard and carpet.
If you make it portable, the possibility of air gaps and sound leaks exists. Is it really worth it to make it portable?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

So are you saying the STC rating would be higher if I removed the outer layer of soundshield? Surely I would be decreasing the thickness of the outer layer, which would allow more sound through? Can you explain how it would work?

I know the possibility of air gaps is there, but I am making the boards overlap the wood joins and sealing with accoustic sealant which should prevent it. It's kind of semi permanent...everything is bolted together but if worst comes to worst I can still salvage most of the materials.

Cheers for your responses
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear