The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room Layout / Dimension questions - new build
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Room Layout / Dimension questions - new build

Hi All, perennial questions here, but I have a new build to do in a rather narrow warehouse. I started a thread at the Sayers site, but hoping for further opinions.
Here's the url if you're interested: John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - New Studio build inside warehouse.

Here is a layout of the space available for control room and live room.

Room Layout / Dimension questions - new build-plan-gs.jpg

Here is my current room size and shape plan.

Room Layout / Dimension questions - new build-my-layout-gs.jpg

Limitations:

There must be a passage along the bottom wall.
The control room must be on the left.
The live room must be on the right (as it is adjacent to a booth with a limited height)

I am having difficulty establishing what is the best control rom size, and whether to splay the walls. My current plan gives me 5700mm (18 foot 8 inches)
Would anyone care to comment and give me some feedback?

Cheers

Pete G
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Pete,

What are the proposed dimensions of each of the rooms including ceiling height?

BTW, I don't recommend splaying walls because of:
1. wasted space
2. it does not make modal problems disappear but makes it much more difficult to calculate mode spacing and
3. there are some great modern products that can do a better job at eliminating flutter echo and adding diffusion.

Also what is the intended use or style of studio you are wanting? (kind of music, etc.) How close are your neighbors? Any industrial noise nearby? What floor is it on?

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Hi John, thanks for your reply, if you're in Jakarta, you're not far away as I'm in Perth! Selamat datang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Pete,

What are the proposed dimensions of each of the rooms including ceiling height?

Well, unsure yet but the top to bottom distance is a max of 5700mm due to the need for a passage along the bottom. I'm currently looking at control room about 28-30 sq meters (av width round 5000mm and live room much the same volume but not as symetrical - top to bottom still a max of 5700 but width varying from 5500 down to 4000, say??

BTW, I don't recommend splaying walls because of:
1. wasted space
2. it does not make modal problems disappear but makes it much more difficult to calculate mode spacing and
3. there are some great modern products that can do a better job at eliminating flutter echo and adding diffusion.

I'm pleased to hear that. Plus I guess it's cheaper to build a couple of rectangular boxes too?

Also what is the intended use or style of studio you are wanting? (kind of music, etc.) How close are your neighbors? Any industrial noise nearby? What floor is it on?

Style is roots music mostly - ie a lot of realistic recording of bands (bluegrass/celtic/world/old school r&b and rock)

Neighbours are on the other side of tilt up concrete wall, single story concrete slab, but already good isolation of sound.

Cheers,
Thanks

PG
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Pete, Thanks.

Quote:
Well, unsure yet but the top to bottom distance is a max of 5700mm due to the need for a passage along the bottom. I'm currently looking at control room about 28-30 sq meters (av width round 5000mm and live room much the same volume but not as symetrical - top to bottom still a max of 5700 but width varying from 5500 down to 4000, say??
If you ceiling height is 3 meters, your volume will be aprox. 85.5 cu. meters. nice size. Personally I'd maybe go with 70 cu. m. for your CR and leave the larger 100 cu. meters for the live studio. -- just a suggestion.

You should size the rooms according to the best modal response first, then compromise for aesthetics. - but not too much compromise.

Quote:
Style is roots music mostly - ie a lot of realistic recording of bands (bluegrass/celtic/world/old school r&b and rock)
Then you definitely want the best rooms you can get for the money.

You can download http://jhbrandt.net/RoomModeCalculator.xls - Just enter your dimensions & follow the directions.

Are you planning on using pre-made panels like GIK, RealTraps, Etc.?? or are you going to Build - In? Or maybe Javakustik?

Quote:
Neighbours are on the other side of tilt up concrete wall, single story concrete slab, but already good isolation of sound.
Great! - Now all you have to worry about is marketing...

Pete, get the ceiling height for me and the total overall dimensions of the empty space and I'll give you some ideas. OK?

-- John
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Hi Pete, Thanks.

Pete, get the ceiling height for me and the total overall dimensions of the empty space and I'll give you some ideas. OK?

-- John
Thanks for the comments John. As with amost of these things, there are always limitations. I've put these on this plan, and here's the run-down.

Room Layout / Dimension questions - new build-floor-plan.jpg

Entry through courtyard bottom left via green door. (that's 7.5m long and 2 m wide)
Large orange area at front is sealed off storage for someone else.

Main space (clear rectangle) is over 8m high! It is 11.3m by 7m.

There is a concrete staircase (yellow rectangle) rising from the left to meet a concrete mezzanine at the rear. Staircase begins 6m from front door, and after 3, it is high enough to walk under.
I dont believe it's practical to remove the staircase, but I have thought of doing that and putting a spiral staircae in further back to clear more floor space.

The extent of the mezzanine is marked in pink, it's underneath height is 2.9m, so I think the space beneath can only be used for booths. Mezz is concrete and 7m by 5.5m (at widest point).

Bathroom with WC, shower and basin in bottom right corner (brick walls) and it could be possible to move that door to the other inward facing wall of the bathroom to free up space.

Hope that's not made it all too complex!

WRT treatment, I plan on attempting it all myself. I currently have two rectangular small rooms built to 1:1.24:1.58 ratios with treatments made over time which have been quite successful.

Cheers

Pete G
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear