The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
walls
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

walls

we talk a lot about treating walls around here with bass traps etc. I feel that my live room is rather dead and any reflections are pretty boring sounding and boxy. I think Ineed to liven up the rooms.

my live rooms measure 16.5x13.5 and 32x16.

Laminated floor, cinder block walls, and a lacquered suspended ceiling. wall are treated with numerous spaced 2x4x3" bass traps.

My question is about the walls and ceiling. What are people using to add some reflections, brightness, liveliness to their walls?

I sometimes see lacquered pine paneling on studio walls (country look). is it worthwhile to glue some wood to the walls? Wood flooring is pretty cheap. could I glue that to the walls and ceiling? any slick ideas?

maybe my flooring could be more responsive. Its on the thin side.

Thanks.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Large bare parallel surfaces need to be treated. Your choices are absorption or diffusion. Usually a mix of both is best. Adding flat wood over flat drywall will not do much if anything to change the sound. The problem is good diffusion costs much more than good absorption whether you buy commercial products or DIY. But bass traps don't have to make a room too dead. Maybe if you post a photo or two of each room we can see the problem and offer more complete advice.

--Ethan
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
I feel that my live room is rather dead and any reflections are pretty boring sounding and boxy. I think Ineed to liven up the rooms.
my live rooms measure 16.5x13.5 and 32x16.
What are your ceiling heights? Your second room (32 X 16) is a bad ratio... 35.3 Hz, 70.6 Hz, 105.9 Hz, and 141.3 Hz all double modes.. and that's just your axial. That room, especially, will need a LOT of trapping.

If you'd like to build some diffusors, I have a handy spreadsheet to help. http://jhbrandt.net/QRDArrays.xls

Or you could construct some poly-cylindrical diffusors (not nearly as good as the Schroeder diffusor...) but they do help liven it up without any nasty flutter echo. You can use 8' X 4' luan (1/8" or 3/16" thick). - Notch out some 2X2s & attach them vertically to the wall spaced (ID) aproximately 2" shorter than the width of the luan panel. Place some rigid fiberglass (4" by aprox. 40" wide) between the 2x2s then POP the luan into place. Voila! you have a poly. Do this in a random fashion down one wall.

BTW, I'd replace those lacquered ceiling tiles with good old acoustic tiles (compressed paper fiber) and make sure that there is plenty of R-21 attic blanket above them. -- maybe checker-board some absorption panels in place of some of the tiles.

It could be that you have modal issues that are causing your problems.

Yes, please post some photos. Thanks.
-- John
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

My thought was to remove the ceiling tiles all together. and hang a few few bass traps. The new ceiling height would be about 9.5 feet.

The large room dimensions are exactly 29 x19.

I find most of my miking lacks any kind of interesting room sound. Dull and boxy. I'd like to improve reflectivity and liveliness.

My thought was to kill the suspended ceiling and try less trapping on the walls and more in the corners. as it is I have 2x4 bass traps every 2.5 feet. and my corner traps are 14 inch Sonopan panels stuffed with Roxul SAFE N SOUND behind it. My corner traps may be too narrow.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear