The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line Voltage/Amperage Ratings of Old/New Consoles
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

Line Voltage/Amperage Ratings of Old/New Consoles

Hi,I'm in the process of running conduit for my audio cables and ac clean and dirty power before we pour the first slab for our floating floor's system.With my existing set-up 1 to 2 20 amp circuits has been enough to power a couple rack and roll racks with compressors,eqs,mic pres.Also my G5 computer,crown power amp for monitors,ADA converters,1604 Mackie for monitoring and a few other goodies spilling over from my racks.
After running the 2-20 amp circuits tomorrow I'm thinking about running an extra conduit for the wonderful possibility of actually owning a REAL board.
I saw that the Tree Audio 500 format console draws very little power.

The question:What did older midsize Harrison,API,Neve Boards actually draw as far as load and what voltage did they use?I've not had much experience with this and want to be prepared with proper conduit size!!Thanks in advance for any contribution here.

Last edited by markthies; 13th November 2009 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: correct text
Old 13th November 2009
Older classic consoles have their power supplies sitting remotely in racks that are meant to be placed in isolated cool rooms.

The cables should be run in a separate conduit from the iso/cool room. If your plans potentially are to move to a bigger console, I would suggest running 3"-3.5" PVC from the iso to the console area.

As far as power. I would be prepared to run fairly substantial power from your panel to the iso/cool room, on the order of 4-6 220V/50Amp circuits.

From what I have seen and read, most consoles have single PSU's for +/-5, 12, 24 and 48 volts DC. While 50Amp is "technically" probably overkill, the reality is that the larger diameter wire will reduce thermal heating of the wire from current draw, and the larger grounds will help with noise.

I would seriously consider just putting in the PVC under the floor and not worry about the power to your PSU's (iso/cool room) until such time as you actually need it... unless you find that you will have to run them under the slab. If that's the case, I'd run two to three 2"-2.5" conduits from your power wall to the iso/cool room.

HTH... and if nothing else, post up some floor plans... might help understand your situation a bit better.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Totally depends on the console; a MCI 636 with 32 channels around 6.5 amps, Amek 51 48 channels around 8.5 amps.
Most outboard gear draws very little, have measured around 2 amps for 12 pieces of gear, this also depends..
The last mid size CTR I designed/wired I had 3-20 amp circuits, includes 2 tape machines, MCI console and fair amount of outboard, NO circuit was close to maxed.
One circuit for console/power amps (2 Brystons;3B & 4B) 8-10 amps.
One for eq. racks.
One for wall outlets.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=4778846

You guys just saved my ass!!! So far all I had running from the mix desk to the machine/cool room was 2" for digital duties.I never thought about running major power from the 2 places.Also I was only intending on running 2 20 amp circuits to mach/cool room (thinking just computers,converters,break out boxes,etc).That would have closed off any future possibilities in terms of "old consoles".
Conduit Fill Information
Looking at this table my conduit size won't have to be too awful big.#8 awg. is the rating for 50 amps but I might still run a 3" from my clean power pull box to the mach.room and mach.room to mix desk just for the heck of it.
I can't THANK YOU guys enough for the timely,much needed input!!!! Thanks,Mark
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markthies View Post
You guys just saved my ass!!! So far all I had running from the mix desk to the machine/cool room was 2" for digital duties.I never thought about running major power from the 2 places.Also I was only intending on running 2 20 amp circuits to mach/cool room (thinking just computers,converters,break out boxes,etc).That would have closed off any future possibilities in terms of "old consoles".
Conduit Fill Information
Looking at this table my conduit size won't have to be too awful big.#8 awg. is the rating for 50 amps but I might still run a 3" from my clean power pull box to the mach.room and mach.room to mix desk just for the heck of it.
I can't THANK YOU guys enough for the timely,much needed input!!!! Thanks,Mark
Is the 8Ga. for a sub panel?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear