The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me with my room guys!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Help me with my room guys!

Ok so I realized after spending some time in a decent studio (301 in sydney) mixing, how bad my room acoustics are and have bit the bullet and ordered a beginner room kit (with tri traps) from GIK so treatment is on its way... but I have a few q's

1a) is my desk in the right spot... should I center it, or is it ok being out by a bit (to the right by about 70cm from centre)... should it be on a different wall?

1) in terms of setting up to the 38% should I do it to the farther wall, or the closer 1

2) where should I be putting the bass traps in the first place?only place I cant put it in the corner is where the pallet racking is in the drawing (which are FULL of gear )... should I put it up against it anyway? What about all the other corners?

3) above the couch I have a MASSIVE Quilt... can a 242 go behind it? or should i get a stand so its in front?

4) There is a big window at the back of the room (blue) and 2 doors (red) in the room

Big preemptive Thanks! (oh and dimensions are in mm... i'm an Aussie in the UK after all )

planning on doing the room... then maybe upgrading the monitors from Events to adams or focals... (but never mind that for now)
Attached Thumbnails
Help me with my room guys!-room-view-1.jpg   Help me with my room guys!-room-view-2.jpg   Help me with my room guys!-room-view-3.jpg  
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

1) You really need to move it to more center and away from the wall.

1) 38% is only a starting point, so split the difference of the far back and closer back, but realize you may find moving a bit further back or forward may be better.

2)I would not worry about that corner or move the rack out of there and put the trap there. You can always straddle upper ceiling corners.

3)Yes

4)Not sure what the question is here.

Since you bought from us please feel free to send us pictures and so on so we can give you personal room advise. Your part of the GIK family now.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Thanks!

here are some photos of the room

sorry bout the mess!

(note the quilt, and the pallet racking)
Attached Thumbnails
Help me with my room guys!-dsc_0866.jpg   Help me with my room guys!-dsc_0867.jpg   Help me with my room guys!-dsc_0868.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear