The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Square rooms - Is it even possible?
Old 20th November 2009
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be meeting with the contractor building my house tomorrow. Is there anything I should find out that will help me get the plan all finished out?
Old 11th January 2010
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Build a false wall to unsquare the room! You don't need much of a reduction. 5% difference in the length and width is sufficient for EBU/ITT/alphabet soup recommendation compliance. Problem solved.

Andre
Hi Andre - interesting. I have a similar dilemna and the room to do this.

At this time I am : 3.0m x 3.2 meters. Does that give me my 5% already ?
I also have a cieling I can play around with too.

Any advice appreiated ....
cdlt
Old 11th January 2010
  #63
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Hi Andre - interesting. I have a similar dilemna and the room to do this.

At this time I am : 3.0m x 3.2 meters. Does that give me my 5% already ?
I also have a cieling I can play around with too.
Probably. What is the ceiling height? Or the range you can play with it?

Andre
Old 11th January 2010
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

I have an interesting ceiling which is the subject of another post. it is a latis-work of wodden support beams. I can close it off at 2.4M as a fake drop ceiling or get creative with a few different odd shapes / angles. See attached

thanks so much in advance
cdlt
Attached Thumbnails
Square rooms - Is it even possible?-100_6835.jpg   Square rooms - Is it even possible?-100_6837.jpg  
Old 26th October 2016
  #65
Gear Maniac
 

Greetings fellow audio nerds!
Hijacking this thread.

I'm currently looking for a new place and I just went at an apartment viewing. Only four showed up and I feel I have a good chance of getting the apartment. My plan is to turn the living room into a mixing room.

I know for a fact that the apartment is pretty soundproofed since I have a friend who lives on the floor above who make music all day long without neighbors complaining.


The problem is that the living room is square: 4.7m x 4.6m x ~2.5m (or 15'5" x 15'1" x ~8'4")


Could this be solved by covering the back wall with dense absorption? Like the entire wall? Would that work as a false wall?

Since it's a rented apartment I can't do much serious construction in it.

I have until tomorrow to decide if I want to take this apartment and I'll rather wait for a better one if it's hard to get good sound in this one!

Any help appreciated!
/Jens
Old 26th October 2016
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostfisk View Post
Greetings fellow audio nerds!
Hijacking this thread.
Congratulations. You just revived a 6-7 year old thread.

Quote:
Could this be solved by covering the back wall with dense absorption? Like the entire wall? Would that work as a false wall?
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. The ceiling height could be higher, but if you go for this will be stuck with it. Since it's an apartment, it's designed to be a place to live in, and not to be a place with excellent acoustics.
Old 26th October 2016
  #67
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki View Post
Congratulations. You just revived a 6-7 year old thread.



Yes, that sounds like a good idea. The ceiling height could be higher, but if you go for this will be stuck with it. Since it's apartment, it's designed to be a place to live in, and not to be a place with excellent acoustics.
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about creating a giant absorber, what I'm asking is if a wall with dense fiberglass covered in fabric will shorten the room and thus affecting the modes? Or will it just be a giant absorber?
Old 26th October 2016
  #68
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostfisk View Post
...what I'm asking is if a wall with dense fiberglass covered in fabric will shorten the room and thus affecting the modes?
No.

Andre
Old 26th October 2016
  #69
Gear Guru
Cloud

@Melguil. I would use laths or some sort of net and simply suspend a decent thickness up there, say 1 or 2 Feet. Fabric.
This will work amazingly well.

Quote:
I'm asking is if a wall with dense fiberglass covered in fabric will shorten the room and thus affecting the modes?
Sound travels about 20% slower in fibreglass than in air. So you would affect the modes a tiny amount, as the acoustic path of the sound waves would be in fact that tiny amount longer.


DD
Old 26th October 2016
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
No.

Andre
Ok. So the only way is to actually build a wall? What if I cover the wall with bookshelves and then fill the shelves with dense fiberglass then cover it with gypsum board? Will that work? Or will it be like a big resonator?
Old 27th October 2016
  #71
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostfisk View Post
Ok. So the only way is to actually build a wall? What if I cover the wall with bookshelves and then fill the shelves with dense fiberglass then cover it with gypsum board? Will that work? Or will it be like a big resonator?
Please I would like an answer to this. Today is the last day to decide if I want the apartment or not. Is it possible to build a wall like that? Or is there another way to build a wall that's easily removable that wont leave marks in the apartment?
Old 27th October 2016
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostfisk View Post
Please I would like an answer to this. Today is the last day to decide if I want the apartment or not. Is it possible to build a wall like that? Or is there another way to build a wall that's easily removable that wont leave marks in the apartment?
What you really want isn't clearly defined, but I think it goes something like this: You have a room that is almost square, and you want it to be less square to spread some of the modes out a bit.

If that is the ONLY requirement, a hard wall is what you need.

But why not also absorb the hell out of the rear wall and dampen the modes (that will peak every 36.5 Hz or so) that will be the most troublesome anyway.

Say you have a 50 cm deep wall, and if sound travels 20% slower through it, it ends up acting like a 62.5 cm wall. You have gained 12.5 cm, so the room acts as if it's 4.825 m to the low frequencies that manage to pass all the way through the absorbers and hit the real wall.

Higher frequencies will reflect off the surface instead, so the apparent room length to them will be 4.2 m.
Old 27th October 2016
  #73
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki View Post
What you really want isn't clearly defined, but I think it goes something like this: You have a room that is almost square, and you want it to be less square to spread some of the modes out a bit.

If that is the ONLY requirement, a hard wall is what you need.

But why not also absorb the hell out of the rear wall and dampen the modes (that will peak every 36.5 Hz or so) that will be the most troublesome anyway.

Say you have a 50 cm deep wall, and if sound travels 20% slower through it, it ends up acting like a 62.5 cm wall. You have gained 12.5 cm, so the room acts as if it's 4.825 m to the low frequencies that manage to pass all the way through the absorbers and hit the real wall.

Higher frequencies will reflect off the surface instead, so the apparent room length to them will be 4.2 m.
I'm planning to treat the hell out of the room, don't worry. The question is if bookshelves filled with dense absorbtion with a layer of gypsumboard on top will act as a hard wall?

Great tip by the way adding a thick layer of insulation to lenghten the room!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Kiwiburger / So much gear, so little time
58
adsmithy / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
11
kreeper_6 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8
gearaddict / Studio building / acoustics
16
mitchk / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump