The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I need a sub floor for Live drum room?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

Do I need a sub floor for Live drum room?

We are putting together a studio with a decent size live rm 17' X 9' with a sloping ceiling going to 10'

I am only considering this for better live sound for drums not isolation....
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

It depends on what 'sound' you are looking for, bro.

A very hard floor, such as Concrete or laminate on concrete will be very reflective even for very low frequencies. A suspended floor (wood framing with basic standard construction) can be flexible enough to absorb and attenuate low frequencies giving the room a different timbre.

Personally I prefer a fairly large room with a hard hardwood floor for drums with a uniform decay at all frequencies. RT60 of around 0.6 to 0.9 -- can change by adding absorptive panels and gobos.. or adding a rug to the floor. I like a 'big' natural drum sound.

-- a very subjective topic --

What flavor of ice cream do you prefer?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks John!

Yeah we are looking for a great "live" loud big sound to start with and then of course can modify from there if need be...We have a cement floor so possibly adding the wood floor wood be a great idea, would we be able to get away with a partial floor for the just the kit?

I would like to get a consultant in to tune the room or make suggestions for treatment...We're here in London UK. You have anyone on this side of da pond you could recommend?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Check with andrebrito. He might be able to help or at least know someone who could.

Good luck with it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear