The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustics in a Metal Container Home Bass Traps
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Acoustics in a Metal Container Home

I'm considering setting up a small studio space in a converted shipping container house. Any suggestions for floor, wall and ceiling treatments that may be specific to a metal box as studio space?
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You'll need all the usual treatment you'd have in any other room - corner bass traps and absorption at the reflection points. One advantage of thin metal walls is the lowest bass frequencies tend to pass through to the outside rather than be reflected. The flip-side is rumble from passing trucks etc will get in more easily too.

--Ethan
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
Acoustics in a Metal Container Home-containersound.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear maniac

Do you have any option of treating the _outside_ of the container? This way you could provide isolation treatment without losing internal volume.
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'd like to hear more about your setup.
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Do you have any option of treating the _outside_ of the container? This way you could provide isolation treatment without losing internal volume.
Yes that is something I am seriously considering, being that the containers width is only 8ft I would like to do much of the treatment on the outside if possible. I'm looking for acoustic treatment on the inside and total soundproofing from the outside...
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Yes that is something I am seriously considering, being that the containers width is only 8ft I would like to do much of the treatment on the outside if possible. I'm looking for acoustic treatment on the inside and total soundproofing from the outside...
You'd treat it the same way you'd treat any room that's a long, slender rectangle: lots and lots of broad band panels and bass trapping. If the container is longer than 16' wide, that's a bit of an issue as well considering the 8' width.

What are the inside dimensions?

Frank
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
You'd treat it the same way you'd treat any room that's a long, slender rectangle: lots and lots of broad band panels and bass trapping. If the container is longer than 16' wide, that's a bit of an issue as well considering the 8' width.

What are the inside dimensions?

Frank
I wouldn't use the entire container. I would make a room of about 7' x 15'.
Old 24th October 2009
Sonic Hooligan

I'd have thought decent worthwhile acoustic treatment is really going eat into the available space of a shipping container? And those metal walls (+ceiling and floor!) must be a B@stard to stop resonating!?

Now then, sorry for venturing off topic. But i've always been interested in 'alternative' housing. And i've read about using shipping containers for this before. Have you any further info? Picts?
I find it fascinating!

Good luck thumbsup

Oh, and back on topic (sort of) Check this out..
Information Technology: Feature: The World's Largest Subwoofer
The worlds largest subwoofer. Built into a shipping container heh
Old 24th October 2009
Gear addict

Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
I'd have thought decent worthwhile acoustic treatment is really going eat into the available space of a shipping container? And those metal walls (+ceiling and floor!) must be a B@stard to stop resonating!?

Now then, sorry for venturing off topic. But i've always been interested in 'alternative' housing. And i've read about using shipping containers for this before. Have you any further info? Picts?
I find it fascinating!

Good luck thumbsup

Oh, and back on topic (sort of) Check this out..
Information Technology: Feature: The World's Largest Subwoofer
The worlds largest subwoofer. Built into a shipping container heh
here's some examples:

Twelve amazing shipping container houses | Yahoo! Green
::: LOT-EK :::

There's a lot of potential with these boxes. They don't have to be left naked as in some of those examples. The exterior could be covered in many different ways. The main downside is the 8ft wide limit of standard containers. This can be remedied using multiple boxes.

That container sub looks like a serious earthquake inducing machine...
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDiSanto View Post
Check this out :

Marks Container

Built into a studio container.
Thanks for the link. Great photos.
Old 24th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Great photos.
Anytime man...check out all of John's work...Lots of great ideas in there!
Old 24th October 2009
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
here's some examples:

Twelve amazing shipping container houses | Yahoo! Green
::: LOT-EK :::

There's a lot of potential with these boxes. They don't have to be left naked as in some of those examples. The exterior could be covered in many different ways. The main downside is the 8ft wide limit of standard containers. This can be remedied using multiple boxes.

That container sub looks like a serious earthquake inducing machine...

Thanks! Thats really good stuff right there.. So you actually live/work in one now? In London? Although i've read about this kind of thing before, on all my travels in and around London (I live in Herts), i've never seen it anywhere! But I think it's really cool..

As for the monster sub.. I forget what it's intended use actually was. But I recall it was built to "Military specification" How a monster sub could be related to the military in any way is anyones guess?! Its a bit concerning really heh

All the best
Old 24th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks! Thats really good stuff right there.. So you actually live/work in one now? In London? Although i've read about this kind of thing before, on all my travels in and around London (I live in Herts), i've never seen it anywhere! But I think it's really cool..

As for the monster sub.. I forget what it's intended use actually was. But I recall it was built to "Military specification" How a monster sub could be related to the military in any way is anyones guess?! Its a bit concerning really heh

All the best

Ever hear of the "Brown Note?"

Not sure if its in relation to this sub, but...the military figured out that if they went low enough in the subsonic range, they could use sound waves to move the enemy's bowels...Call it a Non Lethal weapon.... Unfortunately, they didn't realize that, as we all know, sub-sonics are omni direction....so everybody **** their pants!
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the best
No I don't live in one but I'm planning for the possibility in the near future. Not in London though. Container City is in London but I haven't been there to see it. Looks interesting.
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDiSanto View Post
Ever hear of the "Brown Note?"

Not sure if its in relation to this sub, but...the military figured out that if they went low enough in the subsonic range, they could use sound waves to move the enemy's bowels...Call it a Non Lethal weapon.... Unfortunately, they didn't realize that, as we all know, sub-sonics are omni direction....so everybody **** their pants!
It's a myth. That's been tested a bunch of times, most publicly by "Mythbusters" on TV. No brown note, unfortunately.

To the OP...7'11' is really, REALLY small. That's usable as an iso booth of sorts, but it's going to be tough to do any serious mixing in a space that small.

Frank
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
To the OP...7'11' is really, REALLY small. That's usable as an iso booth of sorts, but it's going to be tough to do any serious mixing in a space that small.

Frank
Yes 7 ft wide is tight but I can extend the length to 15 feet or more maybe.
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes 7 ft wide is tight but I can extend the length to 15 feet or more maybe.
I wouldn't go any longer than 13'. You can probably make it work, but you'll really have to think through treatment to make sure you maximize every inch of space.

Frank
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Based on the room modes calculator, 7wx11Lx8h or 7wx15Lx8h seem to be the best proportions in that size range. Strangely, wider spaces 9, 10ft wide etc. (which would seem preferable) don't look to be as good on the room modes calculator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search