The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Studio Build
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

My Studio Build

I started moving my studio into its new room today and also made a trial frame to the bass traps I will be building.

Here's some pics :-

New room

Bass Trap Frame :-

I have still got to do a few things to the frame before installing the Rockwool and Burlap, including cutting the legs at the back to make it sit more flush to wall.

I will update this post frequently as progress is made
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Oh yeah, the acoustic foam panels are coming down off the walls as I will building some proper ones.

If anyone lives near London and is interested in them, you can PM me and I will send you a price and some more pics of them
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Progress

I finished my first trial bass trap today. Here's some pics below

Burlap stapled to one side and installing Rockwool RW3 :-

Finished stapling Burlap to the other side and put it in the studio for trial fit :-

(I did give it 2 coats of varnish yesterday, but you cant really tell in the pics)

I've still got 3 more bass traps to make, 2 acoustic panels and 2 acoustic walls to go at the front & rear of the room

I see why people just go out and buy them ready done now, its a lot of work , but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end
Old 7th July 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Nice job!

Yep, building panels is a ton of work. Some of us freaks enjoy that kind of work.... others just want to get something that works. Either way, you have your room treated, so it's cool.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

I'm lucky to have a partner who loves building stuff, while I enjoy calculating and designing. But yes, it's a hell of a lot of work. If you include your hourly rate in the calculation, buying is often cheaper.
Old 14th July 2009
Gear Maniac

More progress

3 Bass Trap Frames

Front Wall Frame

Back Wall Frame (1 Part)

Back Wall Frames (2 Parts)

Front Wall & Bass Traps

Rear Bass Traps

Front Wall & Bass Traps

Back Wall & Bass Traps Behind

Still got more to do, but its coming along now
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

For those of you who may be building a similar design panel, I would use a thicker board (2' x 4") for the bottom of the frame, as a thinner board may sag/warp from the weight of the rockwool. If you are going to be moving the panels (for cleaning behind at least), use a 2" x 4" for the legs and put small casters on them.
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Nice job man.

Frank
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Guru

those things are HUGE, but GREAT job!!
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the comments guys

Will be updating this week
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Maniac

UPDATE - Acoustic Panels & Bass Traps finished (Finally)
(Also added some lighting)

(Will upload better pics in the morning as my camera isn't very good in the night)

Still got more things to buy, like a sofa and a stand for my CD decks, but at least I can start producing again now that the acoustic side of things is sorted
Old 26th July 2009
Sen
Gear Addict

great job, but I certainly wouldn't call them bass traps...wideband absorbers, maybe..
Nice job.
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
great job, but I certainly wouldn't call them bass traps...wideband absorbers, maybe..
Nice job.
Well yeah, broadband absorbers but they still control/absorb the bass very good and control/absorb the high frequencies which is better for me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search