The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
first aid room treatment
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Head

first aid room treatment

Hey fellow slutz,

we moved house and the room that I use for my music now is aweful. Small, yet reverby, reflecting from all over the place. So before I can actually do my thing here I need some first aid room treatment.

I've never done this before so please be patient

So first of, am I placing my stuff right in the room?!
Should I move stuff around?!
I build a scale model of what I have (see attached pictures) and the only thing I can't move the missus' closet

I want to build rather cheap panels like this
John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - The 25 minute, $25 acoustic panel (or $42.00 bass trap)

will those help me?!
how many do I need?!
where do I put them ideally?!

I know there's only so much one can do in a room like this, but any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
TIM
Attached Thumbnails
first aid room treatment-room06.jpg   first aid room treatment-room05.jpg   first aid room treatment-room04.jpg   first aid room treatment-room03.jpg   first aid room treatment-room02.jpg  

first aid room treatment-room01.jpg  
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Yes, I think this will help you out. I'm sure experts will chime in but from what I've gathered ... start with the corners and go from there. Use your ears and perhaps some measurement software for determining stuff that I don't understand yet to further fix up your space.

Best of luck to you!

-Doug
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Addict

Looks pretty crowded already. Can you get that wardrobe out of the room? Then you'd at least have some space for bass absorbers in the rear corners.
Old 2nd July 2009

The ceiling to wall corners are a good place to start. But the time you do that, you'll have a good portion of your ceiling covered too.

Also, breaking up the wall opposite the window will probably be needed.

-tINY

Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
So first of, am I placing my stuff right in the room?!
Should I move stuff around?!
I'd move your listening position so that your ears are 38% of the way into the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
I want to build rather cheap panels like this
John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - The 25 minute, $25 acoustic panel (or $42.00 bass trap)

will those help me?!
how many do I need?!
where do I put them ideally?!
They'll work just fine. Build 4" panels and get them in the vertical corners, floor to ceiling, on your side walls at the reflection points and on the ceiling above the mix position...you could also fabricate some stands of some kind and cover the front wall too. The back wall is also important but I'm not sure you have enough space back there.

I'd use 4" and 6" panels in there....it's too narrow to worry about 2" high frequency panels.

Frank
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Head

So I moved my listening position 38% into the room. Treatet the the corners next to the window and the early reflection points. I hung one panel from the top, which kinda made the main difference IMHO and positioned two more panels rather random at the long walls.

All in all it helped a lot, but I'm still not entirely rid of the flutter echo (this is german to english 1:1 translation - no clue if there's even an english word for this ).

The missus kinda freaked since I had to hammer a couple of nails into the wall
I'll post pictures soon...

Thanks guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search