All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
about to build some traps and stuff need advice
Old 30th June 2009
Here for the gear

about to build some traps and stuff need advice

Hello all

I have posted before (I'M Jak)
and the replies were great.

I have relocated my desk and daw to the Downstairs area. pix enclosed.

a few questions.

1) I have three windows. can i put a piece of plywood over them on the inside. then place pink fiberglass over that and then cover that with fabric to create a built in bass trap where the window once was?

2) the lower 3 ft of the studio is brick. do I build a shelf running across the top and below cover the brick in 703 and fabric?

3) should i Build the triiangle bass traps for all four corners of the lower room or will a flat 4" trap do. If triangle do i have to fill it in entirely? sounds expensive since the ceilings are 11'7" high.

4) the "upper area" as you can see in the pix . this will become my ISO booth. For now I have placed some office style cubicle walls there. unfortunately they do not reach the ceiling and close of that area.
eventually a wall will be built. the quistion. does the wall go all the way to the stairs? needing a door #2 or just enclosed like Door #1.

5) Ethan has a difuser thing going and I cant afford one. My bro is an excellent carpenter. We could build one but the specs? tricky? there is a post of a control room treatment from dec 28 08 that has a beautiful wooden difuser on the ceiling and the wall. how do i get the specs to self produce that?

Lastly 6)

I have access to 4 pieces of foam. the kind used in cold storage walls. it is a light styrophaom like a cooler. will this be effective wall filling of ceiling cloud material?

wow Thats alot
any replies are appreciated
pix to follow

thanx
jak
Attached Thumbnails
about to build some traps and stuff need advice-blue-cat-graph-4.jpg   about to build some traps and stuff need advice-hpim1376.jpg   about to build some traps and stuff need advice-hpim1377.jpg   about to build some traps and stuff need advice-hpim1409.jpg   about to build some traps and stuff need advice-hpim1410.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009

1) doesn't sound like it will work that way

2) You could, but no real reason to

3) 4" traps straddling the corners are fine

4) ???

5) Look up RPG or Quadradic residue diffuser

6) No

-tINY

Old 30th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanx

ok good stuff...I should clarify #4

there is a thought of closing off the lower room entirely at the top of the stairs.this would be a doorway
it would mean building the iso booth (upper level) and puting a door on it. as well as puting a door to seperate the controll room from the hallway
this would make the lower room more uniform. Thats better for sound...more uniform. right?

thanx for the reply
jak
Old 30th June 2009
Here for the gear

thanks again tiny

ok so
about the bricks around the lower 3 ft on the studio walls.
what should i do to them?
Old 1st July 2009

leave them

-tINY

Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Since tINY already answered the other questions, I'll just get these ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecatjak View Post
4) the "upper area" as you can see in the pix . this will become my ISO booth. For now I have placed some office style cubicle walls there. unfortunately they do not reach the ceiling and close of that area.
eventually a wall will be built. the quistion. does the wall go all the way to the stairs? needing a door #2 or just enclosed like Door #1.
If you leave a big hole where the stairs are then all of your iso work will be for nothing. Either the whole space is air tight or none of it.

Quote:
5) Ethan has a difuser thing going and I cant afford one. My bro is an excellent carpenter. We could build one but the specs? tricky? there is a post of a control room treatment from dec 28 08 that has a beautiful wooden difuser on the ceiling and the wall. how do i get the specs to self produce that?
Can you post a picture of it or something like it? I don't really want to track it down in the forums. I can say that just about every diffuser design is out there to be copied.

Quote:
Lastly 6)
I have access to 4 pieces of foam. the kind used in cold storage walls. it is a light styrophaom like a cooler. will this be effective wall filling of ceiling cloud material?
No...too dense.
Old 1st July 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Just to add: if you build a diffusor, particularly a QRD diffusor, they have to be built very precisely. The well depths are not random, they are a specific mathematical sequence. If it's off by even a little, then it won't work as a diffusor.

Diffusors are our most expensive panels; unfortunately they are very labor-intensive to build.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

What James says is true, but people build them all the time. They are *very* labor intensive, but if your brother is down with spending the time necessary to fabricate and assemble one (or a few), go for it.

Frank
Old 2nd July 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

Absolutely. I'm not saying don't try it, but rather if you do build them then take the time to build them right.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

I don't know though...maybe I just highly value my time because I work a lot and have four kids, but man...it just doesn't seem worth it to me *at all*. Not when you can get a good 2'x2' QRD for $99. It's like changing the oil in my truck...of course I can do it myself, but I'd much rather pay someone else $24 to do it.

Frank
Old 2nd July 2009
Here for the gear

ok goot me

qrd for $99 give me a name to google pleasehelp me find that
thanx jak

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search