The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moved Spaces, Input Welcome
Old 26th June 2009
Here for the gear

Moved Spaces, Input Welcome

I recently moved to a new place and had the joy of moving all my stuff. Now all that's left is deciding how to work with the space.

Below are some jpg's to show the space and some possible considerations on the layout.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Info:
- Will be used to mix, with occasional acoustic guitar and vocals recorded
- 12 GIK 242s; 8 GIK Tri-Traps; 2 GIK Monster Bass Traps at my disposal
- I'd prefer not constructing/altering walls in the room
- Will be used as a "movie" room as well

Thanks!

Old 29th June 2009

You don't mention ceiling height. But it looks like about 8'. Is this below the house? Do you need isolation from what's going on upstairs?

With that beam, I'd be tempted to build a frame down the same height and completely kill the ceiling with glass/mineral fiber. Other than that, all standard rules apply with first reflection points and bass traps.

-tINY

Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
With that beam, I'd be tempted to build a frame down the same height and completely kill the ceiling with glass/mineral fiber. Other than that, all standard rules apply with first reflection points and bass traps.
So would I. The curtain isn't going to do anything but provide visual isolation between the spaces. The only thing is, if you build a wall there you should turn the mix position 90 degrees to the left or right so that you're firing down the 13' dimension rather than the 9' dimension.

Frank
Old 2nd July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for your replies!

I've been caught up treating the room and I now realize I neglected some specifics in my first post.

Ceiling height is 7'10", and the drop is approx 10" or so.

The drapes would be for visual isolation, because I wouldn't like the kitchen area and adjacent bedrooms to affect/distract anyone in the room. Another benefit would be that I could hang diffusion in front of the drapes without it looking too odd - if this would benefit.

On the topic of drapes; knowing that drapes have poor acoustic properties, should I: a) Purchase heavier expensive drapes from a local theatre drapery store b)cheaper lighter drapes and use the savings on something of greater benefit?

I was also thinking about "dropping" the entire ceiling - I'll be looking into my options for this very soon. Thanks for the suggestion! It is below the house, but fortunately I'm not even going to make an attempt at acoustic isolation, I'm quite happy as is..... for now.

Would any benefit come from framing in a "jut out" beneath the beam on the left side (refering to the 1st pic) like the right side has?

Later, when at home, I will post before/after graphs of my room treatment battle - my ears tell me it's already loads improved.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Addict

Heavy theatre drapes do have quite an effect. But they are also rather expensive (the real thing, not cheap molton), far more so than building panels.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search