The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor/sub placement?
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

Monitor/sub placement?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to recording. I had a question regarding my little home set up. I have an M-Audio LX4 2.1 system...not the greatest quality, I'm well aware, but this is all I have at the moment. I would attach a photo, but the camera on my phone is acting quirky, so I'm attaching a little drawing I made. Basically, behind my desk I have a metal shelving unit. On the very top I have a board on which I've set my monitors. They are little 4" speakers which I've set on Mo-Pads. The crossover is set at 140 Hz I think...maybe 120 Hz. On the shelf below that I have my sub sitting sideways, and it is wedged in there with some dense foam rubber (very similar to auralex). I've done some basic testing with a sine wave going through all the low frequencies, and there aren't any resonances that I can hear. When I play bass notes, there's no rattling or anything, so it seems the sub is decoupled relatively well. But I wanted to know, is it OK to have my sub on its side, and up so high off the ground? I've always seen subs sitting on the ground, but I thought it may be better to have it so it's facing my chest, and the near-fields are at ear level. Any thoughts/recommendations? Greatly appreciated.

Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I already answered this in the other section where you posted. The only way to know is to measure.

--Ethan
Old 20th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I already answered this in the other section where you posted. The only way to know is to measure.

--Ethan
Thanks Ethan. Yeah I posted it here first, but then after looking at similar threads, I realized that this may not have been the proper forum. I appreciate your time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search