The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundproofing room??
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Soundproofing room??

alri people im 17 and i have a Home Studio in my attic, i am constently making beats and i was wondering if anybody got any idea how to soundproof the room for cheep?

your help would be great,

thanks
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

dunno how to do it for "cheap" but try googling "green glue" and search the studio construction forum.
Old 17th June 2009
JWL
Lives for gear

What do you mean by "soundproof"? This term is quite ambiguous these days, mostly because of the idiots selling "soundproofing foam" and other nonsense products.

More accurate terms are "acoustic treatment" which is making the room sound better inside the room, and "isolation" which is keeping inside sound in and outside sound out. Unfortunately, "soundproofing" is in common usage for both of these very different concepts.

Say more about what your goals are, and we can help point you in the right direction.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Head

Ari Scott,
I'm basically in the same place as you! I'm 16 and have a huge interest in recording so I'm taking it to the next stop! I'm moving into my new house, in Ireland, this summer and the front sitting room is going to be my live room and my control is yet to be built!
But the 1 thing i have done is sorted outb what im putting into the walls and studied alot of that side of stuff!

Nyway,
I'm not too sure if it will fit into your budget, but depending on what is in your walls already it can be very easy to isolate alot of the sound.
If its drywall (plasterboard) or concrete, this is what I would do (basically what I'm doing but a little bit less as I'm a drummer so there sound levels will be huge in my place and the new house is in the middle of an estate!
So, right.
Built a single stud frame about 3 inches from the wall! then you can fill the 3 inch gap with rockwool (insulation) then just put a sheet of drywall up against that!
so it will go existing wall, stud frame 3 inches from wall, gap filled with rockwool, then 5/8 inch sheet of drywall onto the stud frame!
Now if you want more isolation, you can add another sheet of drywall onto the existing sheet, but to make it worth while I would advise putting green glue inbetween the 2 sheets, you basically squirt it all over the sheet of drywall you are puttting up and then just put it up against it! It will help alot!!!!!
What is in your existing wall already and what are the dimensions of the room?
Is it a single room studio or what?
and what type of sound levels will you be making in the room(s) will there be drums etc!?????

Sorry for being really treating you like you know nothing but if I wasn't treated like a idiot I wouldn't know what i do!
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
What do you mean by "soundproof"? This term is quite ambiguous these days, mostly because of the idiots selling "soundproofing foam" and other nonsense products.

More accurate terms are "acoustic treatment" which is making the room sound better inside the room, and "isolation" which is keeping inside sound in and outside sound out. Unfortunately, "soundproofing" is in common usage for both of these very different concepts.

Say more about what your goals are, and we can help point you in the right direction.
Couldn't agree more. Are you trying to make it quieter inside and outside or are you trying to address the way the room sounds inside it?

Bryan
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT_MCLOUGHLIN View Post
alri people im 17 and i have a Home Studio in my attic, i am constently making beats and i was wondering if anybody got any idea how to soundproof the room for cheep?
your help would be great,
thanks
Typically, "soundproofing" means isolation. I suspect this is what the OP means. But indeed, such terms are often getting misused these days.

OP, bad news, there's no such thing as being able to isolate sound to and from a typical attic space "for cheep". To make a noticeable difference, you need to do it "right", which means a decent degree of construction / expense. Any other "quick tricks" will barely make a noticeable difference.

Well... probably the only truly "cheap trick" I can think of that might help in an attic: suspend your speakers / monitors off the floor if at all possible. Hang them from the rafters if you can, or at least put some type of flexible padding under them... do whatever you can to "decouple" them the best you can from the attic floor.

Bass trapping inside the attic will help a bit too... it will not isolate, but it will make it "quieter" in your space, thus less effective sound (less reverberation) to leak out. In general, the shorter the decay / the less resonance in a space, the better, at least in terms of trying to not disturb neighboring rooms, etc.

And... keep you volume low.

PS - Headphones are your friend.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Head

alri mark
gd man haha the world needs more aspiring sound engineers haha
wat kinda music ya make? if ya dnt mind me askn?

im not lukn for a serious sound proof job dun its just 2 keep the noise dwn a lil bit out side the room if ya no what i mean?

i was lukn at these Standard Absorbers on thomann.de

have ya heard anything good bout them?

dose anybody know if Standard Absorbers are any use?

thanks
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT_MCLOUGHLIN View Post
alri mark
gd man haha the world needs more aspiring sound engineers haha
wat kinda music ya make? if ya dnt mind me askn?

im not lukn for a serious sound proof job dun its just 2 keep the noise dwn a lil bit out side the room if ya no what i mean?

i was lukn at these Standard Absorbers on thomann.de

have ya heard anything good bout them?

dose anybody know if Standard Absorbers are any use?

thanks
The absorbers won't do a thing to keep outside noise out. Look at the posts above to get a better idea for what will work for real sound proofing.

Frank
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Head

Smile

Scraic,
Eh...I'm a drummer, and my brother is a keyboard singer song writer, we play alternative and rock, but my house is crazy blues and jazz, so its a combo of alternative and blues, but really intense, so we kindof loose out on nice subtle riffs but its fun!
What about yourself, if you only sing write and play guitar or piano, then to be honest you can get away with very little sound isolation. But the minute hard drums, electric guitar come in, it gets a bit harder. (habe a look at my latest post to see what a bit harder is, My first ever studio (in ireland, room and material questions) please help!!!)

The standard absorbers on thomann (the t.aukoustik ones I think your on about will only make the room sound better really, just take away some of the ring.

How is the room finished, plasterboard? or what? If it is plasterboard something simple like sticking another layr of plasterboard onto the wall would help and very cheap, and then for more isolation put green glue inbetween them.
go to this and look at the greenglue noiseproofing compound, Green Glue is your soundproofing and noise reduction material

em....what else can ya do thats cheap and I presume doesn't take much construction. Em... suspend your speakers as said below, this means for example if the speakers were directly on the floor, then you raised them the sound won't go directly down through the floor boards!
Bass traps to absorb the bass in the room to make the room quiter. An easy way of constructing these are build a frame, as high as the ceiling if possible for more absortion, just about 2 feet out either side conecting at a 45degree angle, then cut rockwool sheets into the same size triangles and just pile each one on top of eachother upto the roof, the cover it up with some stretchy clothe.
like in the attachment and then just put clothe over it.

Can you let me know the size of your room, whats in the walls already, and how loud you are!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundproofing room??-bass-trap.jpg  
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

You can also take a look here to see what standard wall assemblies look like, what they're made of and what their STC ratings are.

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search