The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wacky Corner in my Control Room.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

Wacky Corner in my Control Room.

Hey all.
Let me first say that this is my favorite "room" in the Gearslutz Land.
Good info and good people.

Anyway, my control room has a strange corner and I was wondering if anyone could tell me, generally, what it's doing to the room acoustically.

Also, should I have the mix position on the end with the wacky corner, or doesn't it really matter..?

I am talking with Bryan at GIK, as well, for some future bass trap purchases.

Thank you all for your time,
Seamus
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CR bare.pdf (45.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Impossible to answer, I suppose.

I'll just go ahead and fill it up with 703, then, I guess.

Thanks,
Seamus
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound View Post
Anyway, my control room has a strange corner and I was wondering if anyone could tell me, generally, what it's doing to the room acoustically.

Also, should I have the mix position on the end with the wacky corner, or doesn't it really matter..?
Eh...I'd be inclined to flip things so that you're facing the other direction. By the time you're 38% of the way into the room you'll have good symmetry that way, then you'd just treat that strange corner like you would any other corner. Not much else you can do.

if you don't want to flip the mix position, then treat the corner the same as you would if you flipped the mix position. Either way you'll be doing the same thing. You don't have to fill it with 703...you could straddle the corner. Might not be a bad idea to fill it though.

Frank
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, Frank.

I guess that I expected someone to say, "Acute angles are subject to blah blah blah..." or something.
Too bad the fuse box is in that wierd little corner.

Seamus
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks, Frank.

I guess that I expected someone to say, "Acute angles are subject to blah blah blah..." or something.
Too bad the fuse box is in that wierd little corner.

Seamus
You could always put a panel on a stand if need be. If you are working with Bryan, ask him about the hing panels we have "not on the web site". They are 2 16"x72" panels hinged together that can be set in the corner to do the job of pretty much 2 panels floor to ceiling. With that strange corner you will be able to adjust it to fit and the great part is you can move it to use as a portable booth in the live room. I would recommend you get 2 of them to even out the left and right in the front of the room.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Nice.
Thanks, Glenn.

So, it sounds like that if I just treat it like it was a normal right angle, and be sure that I do the same on the other side, it shouldn't be a big deal..
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nice.
Thanks, Glenn.

So, it sounds like that if I just treat it like it was a normal right angle, and be sure that I do the same on the other side, it shouldn't be a big deal..
Well it is not the best set up, but it should work. Plus you are doing what 95% of the people don't do, which is take the time to treat it correctly, so your MILES in front of the power curve.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, if I were to start from scratch again, I would be doing this stuff first.
There is a point where all the gear in the world won't improve your situation.

I thank people like you who impart the basic knowledge freely so that guys like me can make their situation better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search