The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Important are Color Schemes?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

How Important are Color Schemes?

Hey whuts up guys,

I recently moved into a studio I built (with help of coarse) but im having second thought about the color scheme. right now its so boring its red/black/grey but no inspiration/ when we first painted the studio we was excited about the colors becuase we liek the control room to be dark so u can see the flashing lights and such....

ANy colors you guys reccomend as inspirational colors?

or you can share your color schemes
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

Paint the corners in bass trap BLACK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Color schemes are important, but lighting may be more important!

I find different lighting options to be helpful depending on what I'm working on. Also listening to stuff with the lights completely off and the bright computer displays completely off can make a world of difference.

The only thing to be cautious of with the lighting is different types of lighting and dimmers can make nasty noises, so make sure you carefully consider what you are using.

As far as the color schemes (the original topic of your post....) everybody says our room looks like IKEA. Not just because of the color, but because of the clean lines and simplicity of it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but my boss is European and very much likes that design aesthetic! Sorry would attach some pics, but don't have the files handy! Maybe I'll post em tomorrow.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

here's the pic...

I'll post some more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
How Important are Color Schemes?-studiopic.png  
Old 12th February 2009
Gear addict

I just read a study in the news about colour schemes. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

The basic result of this study was red was found to promote things where accuracy was important - math, correct answers on tests, etc.

Blue was found to stimulate creativity.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear addict

Ah ha. Here it is.

It is a different news story than the one I read, but it is on the same study.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Colors are important and visceral influences. Some deep blues with a little red accent (or vice versa) can make a room engaging and comfortable. Not to be underestimated.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

I wonder how much influence pictures have in a room?

Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Come into the light

I got fed up of the grey darkness which pervades the Irish winter, and summer actually. I saw the light.
http://www.soundsound.ie/index.php?article=gear
Feels nice walking in there and spending time there now. Very Zen.
The lighting effect gets everyones vote. Simple cool running CFL bulbs hung behind the panels. Zen and Chic. Lots of world changing art gets made is this busy room, unlike that in that hippy den with the layabout in the other post......

DD
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
The lighting effect gets everyones vote.
EVERYONE like more then yourself? Come on come clean you don't have any friends.

Quote:
Lots of world changing art gets made is this busy room,
Yea screw art. Who wants to look at a pictures.

Quote:
unlike that in that hippy den with the layabout in the other post......
lol lol lol....... Your the best Dan.

Glenn
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

I've found that windows are really nice to have especially if you have a view of some sort. The feel of 'openness' can help that cramped padded room feel that some studios have. Colors.... well, I wouldn't know too much about it since I usually keep it very simple, and not too flashy. Keep the flashy stuff for pics! heh
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aof21 View Post
Color schemes are important, but lighting may be more important!

I find different lighting options to be helpful depending on what I'm working on. Also listening to stuff with the lights completely off and the bright computer displays completely off can make a world of difference.

The only thing to be cautious of with the lighting is different types of lighting and dimmers can make nasty noises, so make sure you carefully consider what you are using.

As far as the color schemes (the original topic of your post....) everybody says our room looks like IKEA. Not just because of the color, but because of the clean lines and simplicity of it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but my boss is European and very much likes that design aesthetic! Sorry would attach some pics, but don't have the files handy! Maybe I'll post em tomorrow.
LOVE the control room man. I also agree with your point on lighting...having been in AV design for many years I've learned first-hand over and over again the importance of having well thought out lighting. I also am a fan of the European-style minimalism. In terms of getting traps or fabrics to match, Guilford of Maine makes something to match everything, so that will never be an issue.

Frank
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

better pics

as promised. There are Genelec S30Ds behind the grey fabric and the acoustic design was done by Lou Clark of sonic space
Attached Thumbnails
How Important are Color Schemes?-studio-pic-1.jpg   How Important are Color Schemes?-studio-pic-2.jpg  
Old 13th February 2009
Gear addict

Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

LOL! thumbsup
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Man...that is a great looking place, seriously.

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search