The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are room reflections making my Adams s3a monitors sound Bright/Harsh?
Old 28th November 2008
Gear Nut

Are room reflections making my Adams s3a monitors sound Bright/Harsh?

Hi all,

I have a pair of Adams s3a's, in a fairly small room, 2.6m Wide, 2.2m high and 3.5 m long. My monitors are in front of one of the 2.6m wide sides of the room. I have Bass traps in all corners and HF traps on the walls, to the side of the monitors. Plus a bass trap on a shelf, behind the monitors.

I have quite a bit of stuff in the room including racks fairly close to one of the monitors.

I have no acoustic treatment on ceiling above monitors, or
in the corners where walls meet ceiling.

I also have a small desk inbetween monitors, with computer screens and keyboard on.

A few days ago, my friend heard a pair of adam s3a's in a decent size room, and said to me how much it made him realise how bright and harsh mine sound. He said they sounded lovely. Mine have i must admit always felt a tad painful!! i even have the top end reduced on the monitors settings!!

So i have started to worry there might be something wrong with the monitors. Or as my initial question asked, come someone say in confidence that the room could be playing a huge part?

Is it a known problem with small rooms, making monitors sound too bright/harsh? Are there known problems that cause this?

thanks
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

1.Your sitting is note optimal, you should try facing the narrow wall.
2.It surprises me that only the freq. frequency Is whats bothering you
I would imagine that in such a small and untreated room bass responce would also be blurry\uneven.

Maybe its time for a redesign?
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKR View Post
Hi all,

I have a pair of Adams s3a's, in a fairly small room, 2.6m Wide, 2.2m high and 3.5 m long. My monitors are in front of one of the 2.6m wide sides of the room. I have Bass traps in all corners and HF traps on the walls, to the side of the monitors. Plus a bass trap on a shelf, behind the monitors.

I have quite a bit of stuff in the room including racks fairly close to one of the monitors.

I have no acoustic treatment on ceiling above monitors, or
in the corners where walls meet ceiling.

I also have a small desk inbetween monitors, with computer screens and keyboard on.
This explains it for the most part. You've got a bunch of untreated reflective surfaces to deal with. That harshness could be comb filtering...constructive or destructive interference at the listening position. Put some panels up at the reflection points, try moving some furniture around...it'll probably clear right up.

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search