The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Room
Old 15th May 2008
Weird Room

Hi all,

I already posted about this on another forum. Ethan replied but that was before I posted a pic and some more info so I thought I'd post here as it is a little more busy.

I've spent most of the day trying out various speaker positions and have found one where the bass response is more even, but the stereo imaging doesn't seem as good. The other problem is that to make the distance of the two speakers from the side wall identical in this position I either have to have them closer together than I'd like or have on of them dangerously close to the door in the corner!

Here is a quick room plan I have just drawn up. I'm well aware (and very sorry) for the terrible lack of any sense of scale (hey, didn't you know that 87 inches is more than 115?) but with only MS paint and no degree in technical drawing it was the best I could do.

Any opinions? For the moment I am flat broke and only have three sacks of rockwool cuttings to work with. I would love advice for the long term obviously, but it would be great if you could give me any info on what I could do with what I have, given that I have to mix an EP that is going to pay for further improvements some time over the next couple of weeks!

If it helps or hinders in any way the floor is pretty thick carpet and the ceilings and walls are fairly annoyingly reflective (basically painted plaster which I'm sure is doing no good at all). There are pretty big peaks around 80hz and 130hz, a noticable dip around 150hz and then another peak around 157hz, but these are quite reduced at the new position I have tried. The stereo imaging was better in the old position though.
Old 15th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, the new mix position is better. Once you get absorption at the reflection points that should fix your imaging.

--Ethan
Old 15th May 2008
Thanks Ethan. Much appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search