The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strategy for this small room?
Old 9th May 2008
Gear Nut

Strategy for this small room?

I have attached two images that show the basic layout of the room I can use for mixing. In the area designated for my mixing equipment there is only 44" bewteen the wall and the edge of the bed. Since I need to both have a desk and sit there it limits how wide apart my monitors can be so that my furthest back listening position is still an equilateral triangle.

I have speaker stands but if I use these then my desk for gear (synths, pc keyboard+mouse, screen etc.) can only be less than 3ft wide. Otherwise I need to use a desk that has a flexbile footpirnt like the QUik Lok ws-550 (so that there is room for my speaker stands at the back but near the front is wider to accomodate more gear.

You can also see that where the door opens and the cupboard opens both screw up placement of a hanging bass trap. My plan is to put one on the outside of my bedroom door so when it is open (opens into the room) it is basically acting as a corner bass trap roughly stradling the corner.

Maybe the best plan is to have hanging points for the rear corner traps and when I am mixing I close the bedroom and closet doors so I can temporarily hang them

I want to have a bass trap in all four corners (most likely traps from ready acoustics) and then some side absorbers for the first reflection points.

I will also use the mirror trick to put up some form of absorption at other immediate monitor reflection points.

Anyone have some good tips/strategies for me?

Number one priority is figuring out how to position my equipment and monitors and still have the room to sit and position my ears in the sweet spot.

A lot of stuff will go in a rack on the floor but the main things I need to mount in some furniture (here is where I really need some clever advice)
is the following:
Nord Lead 2
Sh-101
PC keyboard and Mouse
22" lcd screen (ideally on a articulating arm bracket)
machinedrum
and space for a knobbox

For speakers I have Adam A7's on a pair of quik lok speaker stands.

I may have to opt for some sort of z frame workstation and put the speakers on the upper shelf with mopads.

Old 9th May 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

That's a lot of stuff to fit in with the bed. Can you sleep in another room? Or, can you get something like a futon that folds up into a couch?

It sounds like you have the right idea for room treatment. Get the traps into the corners any way you can (stands, your hanging hooks idea, etc) and create your RFZ.

I'd also think about rearranging the room so that the bed is up against the wall, maybe put the bed under the window or something.
Old 9th May 2008
Gear Nut

All the stuff fits where I want it to (right now I have an Ikea Jerker desk doing the job) I just don't have the speakers positioned how I would like.

I used to have the bed against the window and that only left me to work in a corner by the cupboard. Obviously this is terrible to be working in the short width of the room and in a corner.

I have to leave the bed there. I live in Vancouver where the housing situation is out of control so I need to make the best of a bad situation.

I made a cad model of my room and played around a lot with the dimensions. This is unfortunately the only viable configuration.

thanks,
intellijel

p.s. This workstation from Quik Lok would totally work:
WS-500 - Quiklok - Professional Music Equipment and Accessories

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search