The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Now that s a weird ceilling!! great or bad for mixing??
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Now that s a weird ceilling!! great or bad for mixing??

Ok so I have this room I'm re aranging ( I posted the question somewhere else on the forum about placing my mixer/speakers)
My floor is wood but my ceilling is very weird, a lot of angles. If i'm not mistaking it s a good thing right? no straight angles so better difusion?!
do i still need difusers? where what about auralex type of foam ( I still have like 6 or 7 panels left from when I built my booth) and basstraps? I ve never seen such a weird ceiling in a control room so I'm a little lost as what to do
thanks

Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

yes very strange ceiling, but if you build a cloud over the mix spot (to cover that peak of the ceiling) that will help the slanted area
that will reflect back down on you.

Glenn
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

ok thanks so it's not a good that the ceilling is angled? by a cloud you mean...? with what wood? plastique diffusers? foam?
thanks for the help
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
ok thanks so it's not a good that the ceilling is angled? by a cloud you mean...? with what wood? plastique diffusers? foam?
thanks for the help
I would use panels that are made from mineral wool. It might be ok if angled front to back, but.........

Glenn
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Glenn, thanks for your answers, where would I find such panels and how many do you think I would need?
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
where would I find such panels and how many do you think I would need?
You can buy absorbers or make them. Click the link under Glenn's name to see his company's site and products. Or get some mineral wool and wrap them with fabric. Either way, you'll hang them under the peak and over the area where you mix, more or less as shown in the photo below.

--Ethan

Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
You can buy absorbers or make them. Click the link under Glenn's name to see his company's site and products. Or get some mineral wool and wrap them with fabric. Either way, you'll hang them under the peak and over the area where you mix, more or less as shown in the photo below.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan for the plug.

mdjice,
Just a note that the picture Ethan is showing is of his product, which will also work well.

Glenn
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

how thick should be the mineral wool any siez in particular as well?
is that only good for my ceilling or should i place them on my walls too (or use auralex foam i already have on my walls)
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
how thick should be the mineral wool any siez in particular as well?
The thicker the better, and 4 inches thick is great.

--Ethan
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

great thanks for all the help!! 1 last question and I will stop bothering you :0)
can they be any shapes? like can I create some deifferent designs and shapes for ceilling and wall absorbers? or should they be rectangles?
M.
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

where can I find the correct mineral wool for studio use?
if it s cut in different shape it would still work the same way right?
thanks
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

You can never have too much bass trapping.
I have both GIK and RealTraps in my studio and they both work great.
Old 9th May 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

yes, you can cut them to custom shapes, but why? The larger the better. Best to keep them 2'x4' panels. Bass trapping is as much about coverage area as it is about individual trap effectiveness.

Check with insulation supply shops, they should exist in Houston. If you have no luck, check with some insulation contractors and they might be able to help point you in the right direction.
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

well they would be large ones but I want to do some designs like waves etc..
something kind of like that but shorter and wider :
that should be possible right?
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

YOu can be as creative as you want. The idea is to cover the 'corner' where the 2 side slanted ceilings meet at the peak.

Bryan
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

got it! but on the ceilling, i ve heard that I shoud get some reflectors too. true? or absorbtion alone ?
thnks
Old 9th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Absorption is generally best on the ceiling unless the ceiling is 15 feet high or more.

--Ethan
Old 9th May 2008
Lives for gear

ok great thanks a million, oh and I loved the video on youtube ethan
M
Old 10th May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Click the link under Glenn's name to see his company's site and products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post

Just a note that the picture Ethan is showing is of his product, which will also work well.

lol, you guys are great.

narco
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

great

Actually, its great. No dominant standing wave floor to ceiling. You still need a cloud though, and wall treatments. t
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

yes I'm working on it. I think I located a place in Houston where I can get ownen FG 703. I would get some commercial panls but I want custom shape so I have to do it myself
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

mdjice,

Glenn
lmao. you guys are so weird ... heh

edit: looks like someone above agrees.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

nice people are weird?

Not only is it more fun to be nice, but, in a business built upon reputation and networking, it's in your best interest financially, right?

So Glenn, (it's me, the guy with the Tannoys you had your eye on), while you're giving out advice to people who are trying to avoid spending money at your company, I was thinking about covering the floor corners directly in front of my mixing station, behind my speakers, with mineral wool or RE-30 (which is more effective?) - it's the wall with the blue 244's behind the speakers and the white 244's in the corners above - and I started wondering, how differently do low frequencies behave when interacting with cinderblocks and concrete than with drywall? my floor is concrete, and most of the room is covered in carpet (no pad, and directly behind my speakers there is no carpet) and the wall, as you may remember, is cinderblock up to about the level of the top of my speakers, and drywall above. The 244's hang down to about 6 inches above the floor.
Given that, is it worth it to cover the dihedral floor corners? if so, should I move the blue 244's a few inches higher? I could extend the coverage around the corner all the way about to my rack for that matter (the other way is blocked by my sump pump - notice the huge battery power for my back up sump pump), again the question is, would it help?

Ethan (you with the rock and roll cat) or anyone else, please feel to chime in here. I do have a couple more 244's coming that I intend to put above my head. There is another thread where I've posted recent EQ Wizard measurements if any one is interested: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/195583-should-i-move-my-event-20-20s.html
Attached Thumbnails
Now that s a weird ceilling!! great or bad for mixing??-p1060003.jpg  
Old 14th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
Not only is it more fun to be nice, but, in a business built upon reputation and networking, it's in your best interest financially, right?

So Glenn, (it's me, the guy with the Tannoys you had your eye on), while you're giving out advice to people who are trying to avoid spending money at your company, I was thinking about covering the floor corners directly in front of my mixing station, behind my speakers, with mineral wool or RE-30 (which is more effective?) - it's the wall with the blue 244's behind the speakers and the white 244's in the corners above - and I started wondering, how differently do low frequencies behave when interacting with cinderblocks and concrete than with drywall? my floor is concrete, and most of the room is covered in carpet (no pad, and directly behind my speakers there is no carpet) and the wall, as you may remember, is cinderblock up to about the level of the top of my speakers, and drywall above. The 244's hang down to about 6 inches above the floor.
Given that, is it worth it to cover the dihedral floor corners? if so, should I move the blue 244's a few inches higher? I could extend the coverage around the corner all the way about to my rack for that matter (the other way is blocked by my sump pump - notice the huge battery power for my back up sump pump), again the question is, would it help?

Ethan (you with the rock and roll cat) or anyone else, please feel to chime in here. I do have a couple more 244's coming that I intend to put above my head. There is another thread where I've posted recent EQ Wizard measurements if any one is interested: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/195583-should-i-move-my-event-20-20s.html
Yes covering the floor/wall corner would be GREAT!! Move up the blue panels and straddle the panels below that. If you made thick enough filling the full corner with fluffy fiberglass will work also. I like the rigid stuff better though.

Glenn
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

remember, you're talking to ignorance!

Quote:
I like the rigid stuff better though.
I am not sure what you mean - build a rigid trap, or use mineral wool? is mineral wool more rigid than the fiberglass?
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

No Mineral wool needs a frame to maintain it's shape fiberglass (owen etc..) doesn't it s more rigid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search