The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wooden ceiling???
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

wooden ceiling???

hello, my ceiling in my live room is painted concrete, and i want to acousticaly treat it as i dont like the sound of the room as it is. the room size is 17ft x 11ft x 10ft height.... so i m just looking for some advice about what material would be good to use,
i was thinking of 1/2 wood pannels spaced a few inches from the concrete ceiling..or maybe acoustic tiles, do you guys have any recomendations? i m looking for something that will be good for low freq. (at least better than concrete) and wont cause ringing in the room either....so far from the resrearch i ve done i find wood has good sound characteristics.
the rest of the room surfaces are...(4 corner bass traps, 2 big pannel absorbers, heavy capet on concrete, and 12x6 ft plasterboard on one wall with heavy curtain on top of it)
any help will be appreciated thanks
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Ceiling treatment is generally done with panels made from rigid fiberglass. Wood is not very different from concrete, so that's not useful.

--Ethan
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Ceiling treatment is generally done with panels made from rigid fiberglass. Wood is not very different from concrete, so that's not useful.

--Ethan
thanks for the reply ethan, do you think i could treat the ceiling with pannels made of 2' rockwool, spaced a bit from the ceiling? its just that i can get rockool easier and cheaper than rigid fiberglass...thanks again
Old 7th May 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

Rockwool works fine. Just make sure you cover it up well and build good frames. If it's not well-framed, it can sag and lose its shape over time.

You can also consider a drop ceiling grid, or build ceiling clouds out of wood and hang them over critical areas in the live room (ie, above where the drum kit goes).
Old 7th May 2008
Here for the gear

thanks jwl, i think i ll make some rockwool panels and hang them with wires from the ceiling, i wont cover the whole area though
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru
Concrete

That sounds like a lot of concrete facing concrete. Consider a full on Dropped ceiling. Tiles of white faced 703 with a big gap. I think Ethan sells those? I would go for the maximum here. 2 Ft drop. Put a layer of attic insulation in the void.
DD

Last edited by DanDan; 8th May 2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Agreed, Dan, on all counts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search