The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on control room layout
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Addict

Advice on control room layout

Hello Folks
I need some advices here. The situation is the following

I rented an existint control room + vocal booth to install my own equipement and start producing there.
I'm worried about the monitor placement, since right now, the desk is located facing the WINDOW, so I have the vocal booth at my right side.

I know the best thing to do is place the desk along the long part of the room, at 38%, etc. But in that case: 1.- I wont have any visual contact btw the vocal booth and 2.- The door will be at my left, and i dont know if there is enough space to install my stuff there and be comfortable.

So, would it be too bad working where the desk its right now? any other advices?

thanks

PD: I dont know the exact dimentions of the room right now, and the model i did on sketchup doesnt have accurate proportions.

Old 6th May 2008
Gear Guru

You really do not want to be facing the long wall.

Glenn
Old 7th May 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

Well, arranging a room is always a compromise between sound and workflow. So I agree with Glenn, acoustically speaking you will want to be facing away from the soundbooth toward the short wall. This gives you both the best room position and the best symmetry. So acoustically, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

But, with workflow, turning back and forth between looking at your board/screen and the performer can be a pain.

So you need to decide which is more important to you. Generally I don't think having performers behind you (as in a one-room studio concept) is a bad thing. I've seen people come up with some crazy ideas that worked for them. For example, if the only overdubbing you do is in the vocal booth, and the rest of the room is just for mixing/control room, then you could set up so that your seat is at the 38% point as normal, but face the vocal booth and set up the mixing desk that way. Just make sure your speakers aren't at the midpoint of the room.
Old 7th May 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks JWL for your help.
I updated the sketch in the other post I made (my room has no corners--) you also posted in there.

So right now the thing is a square, and i got your advices
I'll try to make as much as bass trapping on the walls as i can (with air gaps), and then, depending on how it sounds, i will make some stands for the corners.
I'm also considering puting a couple in the ceiling , hanging
Old 10th May 2008
Lives for gear

What about just adding a strategically placed small mirror in front of you so you would not have to turn your head to see the person behind you yet be able to keep yourself/ears in the best listening position. Rooms do this same trick with video moniters when you don't have glass in front of you to see the talent.
Old 10th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, a mirror is a great idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search