The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3 questions: Roofs, airspaces, green glue
Old 5th May 2008
Here for the gear

3 questions: Roofs, airspaces, green glue

Hi-
I am building a new studio and have decided on the basic construction layout, but I have a question about soundproofing. I have read many, many posts on this website about isolation, and I am going to have a mass/airspace/mass construction. In most of the other posts, 2x6 studa were recommendedto increase mass. I DO need things to be as soundproof as possible, however, I have enough room to have almost 3 FEET of airspace in between the leaves that I am going to use for storage. I assume this will help quite a bit with sound isolation, so is it really worth it to use 2x6's? I dont' want to spend all that extra money on larger lumber if my walls (3 1/2" sheets of drywall on the outside and 2 1/2" on the inside) are already far surpassing the rest of the building (I am using hollow doors, but there is a technique that was posted here a long time ago with a way to get them just a bit higher STC than solid core). So, are the 2x6's really necessary? There are no windows, everything will be caulked, I'm using knightfly's double floor diagram, surface mount electricity, etc.

Also, there is a lot of specualtion about green glue and whether there are any appropriate substitutes. A lot of people are saying Butyl caulk SHOULD work just as well, and a lot of people saying, in theory, yes, it should work, but probably go with the green glue because it's tested, etc. But, would butyl caulk actually hurt if it was just for 'extra'? I was thinking about putting it between my drywall just for overkill. It might not perform absolutely as well as green glue, but it should do Something.... but will that something be bad or good? I can't see it being bad but I thought i'd check.

Third, I am still a little iffy on roof construction. It seems like this is the weak link in a lot of projects, because it seems that nobody really has as much confidence in a RC with 3 sheets of drywall over their head as they do when it's on a wall. I was thinking of using 'deck plank' (recommended to me on this board, thanks!) and MLV (probably thin, maybe 1/8" or so) as one layer, and almost a foot of airspace, and then deck plank (thick) and drywall (caulked) for the second leaf. This should work, but does anyone see any flaws? Or, is there an 'ideal' roof design, anything like the 'ideal' wall designs or 'ideal' floor designs i've been able to find? I am just going with the basic 'mass/air/mass' concept and threw this together.

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

There is no advantage to 2x6s.

There is no debate about alternatives to Green Glue amongst professionals. Butyl caulk is not viscous. Green Glue is.

I don't understand what you wrote about three layers of drywall on RC. As you increase the mass, you increase the number of channels. MLV is not as effective as using an extra layer of drywall or wood.

If you want the best ceiling go with two layers of 8" concrete with a 8" gap between. Can't afford it? So much for ideal roof design.heh

Andre

edit: made the word a word
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks, but...

Hey-
Thanks for your reply. However, I can't tell what you said about the 2x6's! It could either go "there is AN advantage" or "there is NO advantage"... which one was it heh?
Thanks!
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Aargh!

It should read "there is no advantage..." I corrected the post for people who can't scroll.

Andre
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

We spared no expense in building our rooms. Though we did it in all engineered lumber, the wal studs are 2x4.

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search