The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how "live" should a small live room be?
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

how "live" should a small live room be?

just wondering... how much reverb should a small live room have? i know the room i ve got will never be perfect because its not big enough, dimentions: L 17feet W 11ft H 10ft i have bass traps and panels on the walls...but i d like my recordings to have some more natural reverb, the room has a flat frequency responce around 0,3 second at all frequencies...well not completely flat anyway, but i think my recordings are not live enough... and on the other hand i dont want to take any bass traps off and risk having standing waves etc as the walls are concrete walls...maybe wooden surfaces would do the job??
Old 4th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

That room is large enough to benefit from a small amount of liveness. But it will never sound like Studio A at Avatar or the Hit Factory. My best suggestion is to experiment. Not by removing bass traps, but by covering them with cardboard or thin plastic. That keeps all the bass trapping, which you need, and lets you play around with the reflectivity at mid and high frequencies only.

--Ethan
Old 5th May 2008
Here for the gear

thanks ethan that would be good, i was also thinking of covering the front of some traps with wood strips and have a bit of difusion too, would that have the same effect? or would the wood reflect low frequencies also?
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, wood will reflect unless it's very thin, and a flat panel is never a diffusor.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search