The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio design.
Old 2nd May 2008
Here for the gear
Studio design.

Hi all,

Going to build my studio finally.
I’ve been reading and collecting valuable information on this forum and now it’s time for me to get more specific info from all you brilliant minds.
I don’t have a lot of space, the room is 17’1” long by 9’2” wide and 7’10” ceiling.
This is on the first floor of my new home; the basement ceiling is too low for a vocalist so I decided to split the room to a control 11’9” by 9’2” and a booth 5’4” by 9’2”.
This booth size should be enough for me to fit in with an acoustic guitar + 2 mic stands or for a small guitar amp.
Otherwise my marshals are going to the basement where I will build one more room for the amps and my drum fetish.
I don’t assume I can record drums properly in a low ceiling room (about 6’) but I could record my guitar amps very nicely and also percussion and hopefully soon enough a piano.
I divided the room more or less based on the location of the door hinged at 5’11” on the length of the room and almost 3’ long. Looks like I’m going to have this door swing to the outside cause now it’s taking all the damn space.
So, if you think I need to divide the room differently please let me know and/or any other insights will be greatly appreciated.
I’ll continue this post with building specs, wall width and construction, door types, green glue and all that tasty stuff.

Thanks a lot all.
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

If you didn't already split the room - don't. It's better to have one larger room rather than two rooms each too small to sound good.

--Ethan
Old 2nd May 2008
Here for the gear
[quote=Ethan Winer;2021202]If you didn't already split the room - don't.

Hey Ethan,
Thanks for the post.
I do need a vocal booth, the big room might sound better but if i can't cut vocals i don't really have a studio.
So we are looking at a "best i can do" scenario.
Even the 17'1" by 9'2" room is too small by the 1500 CF ghetto rule. Not even dreaming about 2500 CF
So...
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Why do you think you need a walled-in room to cut vocals? I have a one-room studio and when I record, everyone wears earphones.
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear
I've done that before, didn't enjoy it much.
But i can see your point and i could eliminate the machine noises that used to drive me crazy under that scenario.
I'm looking into buying a 20' container and building a live room inside.
I have space on the side of the house that will fit it perfectly, and it's parallel to the control (7'1"x9'2").
I have to see if the town will allow it...

Thanks again.
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonphilip View Post
I'm looking into buying a 20' container and building a live room inside.
I have space on the side of the house that will fit it perfectly, and it's parallel to the control (7'1"x9'2").
I have to see if the town will allow it...

Thanks again.
If you do...take a look here...
Old 4th May 2008
Here for the gear
Thanks Dog,

That's where i got the idea from.
I'm having issues with the container idea because it's a lot of work and additional cost.I'm playing with the geometry of my room to see if i can come up with something interesting.

Thanks all for the input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search