The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundproofing and insulation question.
Old 1st May 2008
Here for the gear

Soundproofing and insulation question.

I have recently moved into a new house and have setup my music studio in my attic/top floor which is above our bedroom. However I have come across a problem.
When I play my keyboard/synth, the action of me hitting my keys sounds like a herd of stampeding elephants in the bedroom below even though the room where I am playing sounds normal: the sound that is made when you hit synth keys. The floor seems to absorb the action of me hitting the keys and magnifies it significantly waking up my wife in the middle of the night.
I stuck a towel under one of my synths to absorb and deaden the sound and that helped a bit, though not enough.
During daytime hours it is fine of course but if I feel like playing in the wee hours of the night, I am banned from doing so until this problem is solved. Any suggestions? I would of course prefer not to rip up the floor and place some kind of insulation there until I have tried more simple solutions first.
Old 1st May 2008
Lives for gear

get two pieces of neoprene and glue them to two pieces of 3/4 baltic birch -
neoprene-birch-neoprene-birch of a size large enough to accommodate you,
a chair and the keyboard without any of the above having any risk of slipping
off, like a riser

the better plan would be to float the entire room

be well

- jack
Old 2nd May 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

You need to decouple the keyboard stand from the floor.

Something as simple as 2 layers of MDF, with a layer of 1" or 2" 705 between, placed under the keyboard stand, would probably help a lot.
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

A couple of big thick, inch or more pads of Sorbothane will do the job a lot cheaper than mdf and 705 Just make sure the stands under the keyboard are completely stable and resting on the Sorbothane.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search