The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
studio wall thickness
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Head

studio wall thickness

I have been trying to do some research into a recommended wall thickness for recording studios. I'm not having much luck. Could someone direct me to some good info on this? Thanks much.
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Addict
Smile

Hi
From what I know the wall thickness is not the the big issue regarding soundisolation. Its more what the cunstruction need to be strong for all the heavy gipslayers. For my studioconstruction we used 20cm thick walls for the soundisolation with for layers of gips. (this for the room in the room) Then one more 20cm wall for the acoustic treatment.
Before we started the new studioconstruction we isolated the old barn and put up three layers of gips. we also did build some small rooms that only had 10cm thick walls plus 10cm for acoustic treatment.
In some corners and backwalls we had basstrapconstructions so they were much thicker.
I suggest that you talk with a consultant regarding your construction so you get it on paper.

Good luck
Rickard
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

as Rickard suggests, the wall thickness will vary depending on its function - and the function depends on your needs. high isolation will typically need to consume more wall space for two reasons - one isolation, and two the fact that now that you have the isolation, you need to treat the acoustics.

minimally, you need enough wall thickness to support the roof over your head in accordance with local building ordinances. there is no maximum except limited by budget and people willing to do it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search