The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cable run suggestions please...
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Cable run suggestions please...

I'm converting my detached garage into a studio, and am planning to run cables from the house into the studio. I have 2 questions for people in the know (I'm planning to be able to record in the house as a live room):

1) What sort of cables should I remember to include - already thought of:
i) 2-way video for visual contact with the musicians
ii) Phone line
iii) Household alarm connection
iv) mic tie-lines, or digital cable....see below....

2) I'm thinking of remote controlled preamps and converters in the house (to be part of my portable rig), so I can send the converted signal to the garage instead of having a wall-box and tie-lines in the house. Any suggestions for converter output type (AES, cat 5, cat 6?), and remote preamps?...no cheap stuff!

Many thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Pete

ps already have: SSL Xlogic 4 Mic-pre (no remote yet), Audient ASP008, Apogee Rosetta & Mini-mp, Fireface, going to Logic.
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'd also run plenty of CAT5 (e/6) - at a pinch you can run analog audio, digital audio and video over cat5 - it's so cheap and might come in useful later.

I wouldn't bother terminating them - just install in case you need it in the future.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about Cat 5 for audio - I'm currently all adat & firewire. Can you suggest how to integrate cat 5 with my current setup (Rosetta & fireface) or do I need new converters?
Also, any further reading...?

Cheers,

Pete.
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'd still tend to use normal FST for audio cable, and 75ohm coax for digital. That's because I know it works fine (and because I'm stuck in my ways).

What I'm suggesting is that it's worth running a few (lot) of cat5/6 cable as well.

do a search on Steve Lampen (a belden engineer) - who's written and lectured on the subject.

a quick google brings up
Ruminations on Digital Audio, by Steve Lampen
Using Network CAT 5 Cable for Audio

Again, I strongly suggest you use normal FST/75 ohm coax for your audio/digital - and use the cat5 as backup.

I'm not too sure what you would gain by having the convertors/mic preamps in the house. That could be quite a long run for a firewire cable.
I think you need to be able to twiddle the knobs and look at the lights on the device when recording (just my opinion)

Stick to mic/line/aes/midi/cat5/videocoax type tielines.

PS the phone will run over cat5, probably the alarm too.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Ah, I'm with you now! I was assuming I'd need to go a/d before running through the coax/cat5 (thinking something like MADI to minimise the number of connections). This is to minimise the impact of wallboxes etc in the house - hence the idea of remote preamps and conversion before piping to the studio.... or is that daft?
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

I should say that I will rarely record in the house - hence the minimum impact option, and have a portable rig for location recording, so hoped to incorporate that. The intention would not be to run firewire to the garage.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

...ok, it's getting a bit confused now - so let's break it down a bit, and lets ignore the cat5 thing for now (it was a suggestion as more cables always come in handy)

You need to get audio (either digital or analog) from your house to your studio - you also need to get foldback going the other way.

If you want to put your preamps and convertors (stand alone or connected to a computer ?....what type ?) in the house then you still need to run the audio (either digital or analog depending on your preamp/convertor combo) into the studio. Using AES you only need half as many cables as if you were using BUT you won't be able to check your input levels - gain controls etc etc as they will be in the house.

SO

Much better to put in conventional wallbox with XLR connectors on (plus foldback) along with whatever else you need. Additionally run a few cat5 cables for the stuff you forgot.

I can't really see how a 'remote preamp' setup will work in a practical situation or what (apart from a smaller stagebox ?????) you gain.

BUT

we still don't know

1, how long the cable run is (can you use firewire)
2, how many mic lines you envisage needing (2 or 64 ?)
3, how you propose controlling your preamps remotely

I think it's fairly easy to hide a largish stagebox behind the sofa etc.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Many thanks for the PM and ensuing phone conversation!

Just to finish the thread.... I'll be using a wallbox after all - probably edac to get 20 or so lines in.

Trying to control the remote preamps from 30' away in garage was a crazy idea....!

Cheers,

Pete

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search