The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Isolation booth for drums and vocals
Old 9th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Isolation booth for drums and vocals

This is a followup to this thread:

Semi-soundproofing basement ceiling?

I've reconsidered semi-soundproofing the ceiling because it won't fix some of the other issues with noise in the basement. For example, I'm pretty sure the water heater in the next room was designed to start up whenever it detects a good vocal take being recorded on the other side of the wall.

So now I'm seriously thinking about building a portable isolation booth. I've looked at the prefab builders, but they seem pretty expensive. I won't totally rule them out, but if it's possible to build it under $1000...

What would be ideal is a booth that could house my drum set (a standard kit) with mics... plus a vocal mic. Though I could make do with just the drum set and drum mics and swap some drums for a vocal mic when needed.

I'm thinking of getting the plans from Dawbox:

::::Vocal Booth 2.5::::

However, I've searched the internet far and wide to find one non-astroturfing person who has built this booth and have found nothing. I may order the plans anyway, even if I decide to build something different.

The Dawbox site says their plans can accomodate a booth up to 6'x6'. That would probably be the minimum size for squeezing my drum set + mic stands. However, I've read that iso booths work better with no two dimensions being the same. For what I need, I can't imagine any wall being less than six feet. So I don't know.

I would like the booth to be "portable" in the sense that the booth is not part of the house and could be reasonably disassembled and moved to another house one day.

Can anyone recommend any other plans for a portable DIY drum/vocal isolation booth? Real-life examples, photos, and anecdotes would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

!

On MTV Cribs "Lil Jon" shows his vocal isolation booth

Here's the episode:

MTV Cribs | Episode 6: Lil Jon, Richard Branson, Bobby Taylor | Video, Photos | MTV

Anyhow, quoting from that page:

"This particular studio contains a "ghetto vocal booth," separated from the rest of the room by a standing mattress."

Yep. A standing mattress. He indicates he recorded Mariah the previous day - using that very same ghetto booth. I know this doesn't help you, but... hey... it works for Lil Jon, lol!

Yeah!... yeah! What?!... What?!

On a slightly more serious note, I'm planning to use my GIK 244 Bass Trap and Monster Bass Trap (which I mounted on stands as shown below) as my own personal "iso booth" options. Not really as good as a real iso booth but... hey, we work with what we got.... be it a mattress or something more 'pro'.

Hope this helps? I'm sure more expert advice will be chiming in momentarily....

Cheers,

-steve
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Interesting... I'm not looking to do gobos, but a real, honest-to-goodness booth with a floating floor, ventilation, etc. There's just too much extraneous noise in my basement to do recordings with a really low noise floor.

I'm looking to make something similar to the booths at whisperroom.com.

I'm leaning towards doing a 5x9x7 room, FWIW.
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear

December 2006 issue of Recording Magazine had a decent article on a DIY Booth project.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search