The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dimension trouble for control room
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Head

Dimension trouble for control room

I am having a hard time coming up with a good control room ratio using modecalc for a studio. The rooms minimum dimensions have to be 20ft x 20ft with 10 foot ceilings. This is obviously disastrous, and the conventional ratios, such 1 1.14 1.39 don’t work well with these required dimensions. I did some research and came up with dimensions of 26.6ft x 21ft x 10ft. That ratio is 1 2.1 2.66. None of the frequencies or modes seem to overlap. Will these dimensions work well, or am I missing something. Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

That is a good ratio. I suggest increasing the dimensions by ten percent so that the ceiling becomes 11 feet. This then in compliance with the NARAS (Grammy) recommendation of an 11 foot ceiling as a minimum.

Andre
Old 9th March 2008
Gear Head

Thanks, now I'll look into shortening those dimensions a little bit. A 30 ft. deep control room seems pretty big.
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboom1 View Post
Thanks, now I'll look into shortening those dimensions a little bit. A 30 ft. deep control room seems pretty big.
Give us details to work with. You started off with mininums, which we worked with. There are many "do it right" control rooms with 30 feet a dimension.

Andre
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Head

The primary detail for the control room is the mixing console is 14 feet long, about 4 feet wide. There is a rack about 9 feet long and 4 feet deep that will sit behind the console. The space will be a commercial property that is owned, not leased, so the design can be however we want it. Here were some details I had worked out.
This starts at the mixing board and works toward the back of the room.
14' x 4' console
14' x 6' of space behind console for chairs etc.
12' x 4' rack
12' x 5' space needed behind rack

6' x 0 space to the side of console for traffic flow

20' x 19x minimum dimensions

It would probably help to have additional room for people. I'm not sure I would need an additional 10 feet of space. I will try to get to my computer more often for quicker communication. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search