The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
building a low ceiling basement home studio
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

building a low ceiling basement home studio

I may buy a house where the only possible space for me to work in would be the basement which has a height of about 220cm (7,2').

How bad would this be ?

If well treated, will I be able to mix in there?
And record acoustic instruments?
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Sure.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may buy a house where the only possible space for me to work in would be the basement which has a height of about 220cm (7,2').

How bad would this be ?

I think if you don`t have issues with noise emissions to neighbours or from neighbours and don´t have to build a room in room, it can be O.K. You could install a thin cloud like 4-8 cm on the whole ceiling and end up with at leat 2,10 height.I don´t know how tall you are, but I could live with it.
If you need a Room in Room construction you have problems

The other room dimensions would also matter.
You should measure the other dimensions and do a room mode calculation. RealTraps - ModeCalc
If its not a cube and its big enough then it should work.But remember:The smaller a room is, the more Basstraping is propotionaly needed.

Is it just for private pleasure? I worked in the Basement of a friend for some time which was like 1,90m height with 1,80 Beams and it was O.K. for us. Just get some low chairs and the room looks higher.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Beraques View Post
I think if you don`t have issues with noise emissions to neighbours or from neighbours and don´t have to build a room in room, it can be O.K. You could install a thin cloud like 4-8 cm on the whole ceiling and end up with at leat 2,10 height.I don´t know how tall you are, but I could live with it.
If you need a Room in Room construction you have problems

The other room dimensions would also matter.
You should measure the other dimensions and do a room mode calculation. RealTraps - ModeCalc
If its not a cube and its big enough then it should work.But remember:The smaller a room is, the more Basstraping is propotionaly needed.

Is it just for private pleasure? I worked in the Basement of a friend for some time which was like 1,90m height with 1,80 Beams and it was O.K. for us. Just get some low chairs and the room looks higher.
Thanks for your replies.
Yes it will be mainly for private use,
I don't think I need to build a room i a room, though I have to do a minimal soundproofing treatment so that my wife won't hear too much, other than her, there are no neighbours as it is in a basement below an individual house.
A thin cloud on the ceiling and 10cm rockwool covered with plasterboards on all the walls.
The dimensions will be 4m long on 3,50 large, and maybe split in two for a booth.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Also, do you think that the Rob Gervais book about studio building would be of any help for such a smal place?
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, do you think that the Rob Gervais book about studio building would be of any help for such a smal place?
How much construction skill/experience do you have? If not so much you should read Books or sites like John Sayers:John Sayers Productions
Old 7th March 2008
Copy and paste the whole line below into google

site:www.gearslutz.com low ceiling

Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Beraques View Post
How much construction skill/experience do you have? If not so much you should read Books or sites like John Sayers:John Sayers Productions
I'm quite handy, I have build a few rooms before, which involved soundproofing, I've also entirely renovated my flat,
but don't know much about specific studio design like unparallel surfaces, diffusers etc..
Old 7th March 2008
Gear Addict

I do only have 2.06m ceiling... but it will work there, too...

Have a look here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...-basement.html
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesilence View Post
I do only have 2.06m ceiling... but it will work there, too...

Have a look here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...-basement.html

Cool,

I just had a look, did you only treat the area around the sweet spot; you didn't put anything on the other walls?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search