The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Angle walls?
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Angle walls?

We are buying a with a basement. In one corner of said basement will be my little studio. It is currently a small BR. I will be expanding it to about 12ish by 12ish. My question is, is it worth the planning and construction hassle of kicking the two stud walls out at an angle? Like one 105deg off the side wall and the other 75 off the back to make an irregular shape? Any thoughts? I'm at the planning stage, so I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks.heh
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Studio or control room? My first thoughts are no.

Andre
Old 4th March 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I'm with Andre. Angling walls in a small room just makes it smaller, and that's worse than not having angles.

--Ethan.
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

I agree with the others.

it sounds like you are going to have a room that is 12x12x8, which is going to be problematic. it might be worth building out your front wall so that it's only 11 ft that direction and basically turn the whole wall into a giant bass trap. This should reduce problems with room modes/nodes and make the final treating of your room acoustically a little easier.

what do you guys think? I've never actually tried this theory on a room that small. would it work well enough to make it worth the effort?
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Forget about angled walls, you will still have room nodes. What's worse, they would be more unpredictable.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, I'd worry more about the squareness than anything. kick one dimension out longer if possible, but i like that foot thick bass trap idea too...
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks much. I don't have any final dimensions. I can expand along the back wall a ways, enough to make it a rectangle. If the angle thing won't help much, that'll save me moving the front wall, which I could only swing out from one corner.
Thanks, guys.heh
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

apparently applying your dimensions (hxdxw) to "the golden ratio" is the best way to go...math's never been my strong suit, maybe someone else here can help with what that means exactly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search