The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GAHH! Help with my room...
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

GAHH! Help with my room...

I finally got REW (room eq wizard) working and did an analysis of my home studio room. I have bass traps floor-ceiling in all 4 corners and 2 5x4' panels on each long end wall and wall/ceiling traps above those and a 5x4' cloud above the mixing desk. Floor is carpet. I used another eq tool and it reported a big null at about 90hz. REW confirms this. Is it the room or my speakers or mic??? What can I do about a null like this, it's a critical bass frequency? Would a sub help? Room is 16'Lx9'Wx8'high. No real high absorption at 1 reflections though the ceiling cloud has helped noticeably with that, along with imaging.
Tia.
M.
Attached Thumbnails
GAHH! Help with my room...-roomeq.jpg   GAHH! Help with my room...-roomeqline.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
I have bass traps floor-ceiling in all 4 corners
Most rooms have 12 corners. heh

Quote:
Is it the room or my speakers or mic???
Nulls are always the room.

Quote:
What can I do about a null like this, it's a critical bass frequency?
More bass traps. After all the corners are filled with traps, next is the front and rear walls surfaces.

Quote:
Would a sub help?
Not as much as more bass traps.

--Ethan
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Most rooms have 12 corners. heh

--Ethan
Haha, I guess that's right, I wasn't thinking in 3D. heh
Here's a question for you Ethan, I've been all over your site and I'm sure ALL the acoustic forums...
There's not a lot of room for much more treatment in here. I could stuff the space behind the 4 corner traps with more rockwool I guess...

I've found that between the current listening position and 2 other positions, the last being standing up 3 feet back of listening, I can get a composite "accurate" graph if overlayed with each other, that is, there's a good even response over the 3 positions as opposed to just one. One position is ideal but I may not get that in here so would it be better than nothing to try and judge a mix based on 3 positions other than 1?
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

It's never a bad idea to walk around a little. If nothing else, it sort of simulates what others will hear in other rooms.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search