The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
spending $18K on wiring...
Old 28th February 2008
spending $18K on wiring...

For audio, video, and high-class networking in a 4000 sq ft studio. That works out to $4.50/sq ft. How does that figure match with your wiring/sq ft ratios?

BTW, the $18K number does not include connectors/patchbays, etc. It's just the raw cost of the bulk wire.
Old 28th February 2008

Yeah, good wiring is expensive. On the positive side, after all your construction is done you'll have to change your GS name from "clueless" to "been there, done that" or "weary but wise" or something similar.
Old 28th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Yeah, good wiring is expensive. On the positive side, after all your construction is done you'll have to change your GS name from "clueless" to "been there, done that" or "weary but wise" or something similar.
Penniless...
Old 28th February 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Or "No SSL Yet Because I Spent 20k On Wires"

Old 28th February 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
BTW, the $18K number does not include connectors/patchbays, etc. It's just the raw cost of the bulk wire.
That seems awfully high for wire!

--Ethan
Old 28th February 2008
High for wire?

What's your $/sq ft wire cost work out to?
Old 29th February 2008
Wiring panel layout for the curious

I started a thread about my wiring panels in "So much gear..." but it was moved to Geekslutz. I think this is a better place for it. Here's the old thread.
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have been following your thread(s) with great interest. I have not posted because you have been doing everything right.

you are doing it right in the wiring. The comment I have is that you consider doing your mic lines with AES cable. The reduced capacitance gives better high response and the cost difference is minimal. If you find in the future you need more digital connections, you have the lines already run.

What you are doing is fantastic!

Impressed,
Andre
Old 1st March 2008
Wiring plan now posted to my construction thread...

Here's the construction thread.

Here's the wiring plan (in case you want to keep the conversation technical w/o all the boring details of construction):

Old 1st March 2008

In reference to your plans above: "Machine room" in this business usually means a place for all the noisy, heat producing electronics that we want to keep out of the control room but I suspect, due to it's location, that your "machine room" is not for CR electronics. Am I correct?
Old 1st March 2008
eQuipment room and Machine Room

The eQuipment room is behind the sound lock and provides most of the audio interfaces.

The Machine Room is in the garage, and is where computers, disk storage, and other HOT HOT HOT stuff lives. The machine room is also where video encoding and decoding boxes go (they are not audio).

Last edited by Clueless; 1st March 2008 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Detail about video
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The comment I have is that you consider doing your mic lines with AES cable. The reduced capacitance gives better high response and the cost difference is minimal. If you find in the future you need more digital connections, you have the lines already run.
Good observation. If I had to do another studio cabling job, this would be high on my list!

All the best with this venture - very nice to see detail spent in the right places.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search