The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixes consistently thin in 125-500hz range
Old 28th February 2008
Here for the gear

Mixes consistently thin in 125-500hz range

Hello acoustic slutz... I recently built 8 bass traps for my room following the advice of Ethan and other forum members and I must say they have made a huge difference in mix transfers. I feel like I've really made a huge improvement in controlling sub frequencies which is really important for me as I do bass heavy electronic music. Although my mixes are transferring much better than before adding the traps, they still consistently lack in the 125-500hz range, the most problematic area being around 200-300 hz. I have too makeup the reduced gain in that range using EQ, usually bumping the lo mids up at least 2-3dB. I really want to avoid that, I think if I were able to hear this range better my mixdowns would be much better. I am using adam a7's in a room that is 21' long by 10' wide and 8' tall. Also, this room isn't intended for tracking instruments or vocals, only for listening.

I have toyed with the idea of dividing the room by building a new wall to make it about 15' long (shortening the room by about 7' or so). I was wondering if this would help at all. Will adding more traps to the room help? Any suggestions are appreciated considering how much the advice from the members of this forum have already helped!
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I wouldn't shorten the room. What you need most is simply more corner bass traps. Also, having yet more traps flat on the front and rear walls will help further. Especially the rear wall behind you. My living room is only a little larger than your room, and I have 43 bass traps plus four diffusors. heh

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search