The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
quick basement ceiling question
Old 26th February 2008
Here for the gear

quick basement ceiling question

i think i know what i want to do, but want to get a quick check before i start tearing stuff out...

smallish basement with some kind of fiberglass drop ceiling about 3" below the floor joists. i'm planning to tear down the drop ceiling and stuff rolled fiberglass up into the joists and cover with a flame ******ant fabric of some type. thinking is, i would really like those 3 extra inches back into the room, and figure i'll at least be breaking even with absorption by stuffing rolled fiberglass up in there.

make sense? the drop panels are some kind of rigid fiberglass but with a plasticky face. maybe 3/4" thick or so. i'm thinking i can double or quadruple some of these up for corner traps.

thanks for any help!

steve
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaud View Post
i think i know what i want to do, but want to get a quick check before i start tearing stuff out...

smallish basement with some kind of fiberglass drop ceiling about 3" below the floor joists. i'm planning to tear down the drop ceiling and stuff rolled fiberglass up into the joists and cover with a flame ******ant fabric of some type. thinking is, i would really like those 3 extra inches back into the room, and figure i'll at least be breaking even with absorption by stuffing rolled fiberglass up in there.

make sense? the drop panels are some kind of rigid fiberglass but with a plasticky face. maybe 3/4" thick or so. i'm thinking i can double or quadruple some of these up for corner traps.

thanks for any help!

steve
I think you are on the right track.. For flame ******ant fabric check out Guildford of Maine FR (that stands for Flame Rating) 701. Here is the 48 colors they offer.
GIK Acoustics

Glenn
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

It may be more costly than what you are looking for, but in one of my rooms I built a sorta "between the joists" ceiling that worked pretty well for me.
It was a few years back, but if I recall correctly I got the idea from johnlsayers.com

I think there was some diagram on how to do it over at his site. It worked out pretty well for me, managing to greatly reduce noise spilling into the living area of the house, as well as reducing the sound of foot steps from above.
And I still managed to make the most of the ceiling height I have in that section of the basement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search