The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ultimate challenge
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

ultimate challenge

How can you sound proof an apartment enough where your neighbors won’t call the cops and it won’t break the bank?
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Turn it down. 85 dB is enough for anything and won't wake the neighbors.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

can't get the same tones by turning down
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 View Post
can't get the same tones by turning down
Oh! You are an electric guitar player. I was speaking as a recording engineer. There is a difference.

Have you tried a Power Soak?

To keep loud sounds in you need isolated walls and mass. Brick walls or concrete is good. In an apartment? Good luck. Foam won't do it. Sorry I am not more helpful.
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Sorry but correct. Soundproofing and cheap don't go together. It takes mass and physical decoupling/isolation.

Maybe it would be cheaper to build a temporary iso-booth to play in. Doing an apartment just isn't feasible.

Bryan
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

this is true...I have a garage that has an aluminum door blocked up with like 2 or 3 mattress beds, and it sounds like there is nothing blocking the sound, you need heavy heavy drapes at least or brick or concrete something heavy and dense.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Every one told Henry Ford that the V8 engine could not be done… well guess what he did it!!! I have done some experiments with different items commonly available and I have had some pleasing results BUT this idea is still in the infant stages.. so there is still a long way to go.. and yes I am a guitarist

Bill
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search