The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone else catch the Trading Spaces epi. with the studio?
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Addict

Anyone else catch the Trading Spaces epi. with the studio?

Would what they did actually work? It seemed very noobish what they had. Here's pretty much what they did.

They kept the walls parallel, a perfect square room, and they lined the walls with under carpet, you know, that thick layer you put over the floor right before you put carpet down. They used it as "sound proofing".

It just seemed very unknowlegable to me, and exactly what you would expect from a design crew who knows nothing about sound and acoustics.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdctom92 View Post
Would what they did actually work? It seemed very noobish what they had. Here's pretty much what they did.

They kept the walls parallel, a perfect square room, and they lined the walls with under carpet, you know, that thick layer you put over the floor right before you put carpet down. They used it as "sound proofing".

It just seemed very unknowlegable to me, and exactly what you would expect from a design crew who knows nothing about sound and acoustics.
Sad part is I am sure there is a bunch of people doing it because they did.

Glenn
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Addict

No doubt at all. It's just as cliche and annoying as throwing egg crates up on your wall. Where do these people get these ideas anyhow?
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

I watched it the other night with my G/F. Even she said it wouldn't work.....

I couldn't believe they removed the carpet on the floor and left the raw concrete...talk about reflections.

I bet the neighbors are still pissed.
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

i ended up watching it with my girlfriend and her mother and i was complaining the whole time that their foam would not work.
Old 1st March 2008
Gear Addict

I hate nagging neighbors, my neighbors across the street used to b*tch when I would have band practice in my garage.
Old 1st March 2008
Here for the gear

First of all, under carpet is half an inch thick, capable of absorbing as much as a stuffed animal would. Parallel room? That **** is so stupid. ****'ll bounce right back to the engineer, but not after all the lows gather. Talk about the cement floor? Might as well rock a studio in a public bathroom stall.

****ing ******s.
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

not to mention they may have created a fire hazard as most carpet is not fire rated to be hung on walls... would be real nice to have your home insurance coverage nullified (and you get out of the hospital) after a fire because some j****sses put carpeting on your wall. regardless of whatever they make you sign to be on the show, i'd be calling a lawyer the next day.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Addict

Anybody know where I can watch this online? I'm dying to see it again.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdctom92 View Post
Anybody know where I can watch this online? I'm dying to see it again.
I would like to see it also.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search