The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much sound can I stop?
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Nut

How much sound can I stop?

How much sound can I really stop? I am going to rent a warehouse and live/work there. How much isolation can I really get between the tracking room and the sleeping cave? (pic attached)

Any advice for construction? books?

Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Can you give us dimensions on the rooms?

I have some suggestions, i would just like to know the dimensions first.
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Maniac

does the landlord know you plan to use it to live in?
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
Can you give us dimensions on the rooms?

I have some suggestions, i would just like to know the dimensions first.
When looking at the picture, the horizontal length is 58' 3" and the vertical, 39'.

I was reading a book last night called "Building a Recording Studio" by Jeff Cooper, it looks like, without getting into the expense of concrete walls, a floated double wall with a floating floor looks like my best bet.

My wife's main concern is being able to have a quiet room when tracking.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

The unfortunate short answer is that you can get as much as your budget will allow coupled with how much the landlord will let you do.

Isolated walls and floated floor and ceiling if done properly and double drywalled can be quite effective. What's going on in the 'shop area'?

Bryan
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post
The unfortunate short answer is that you can get as much as your budget will allow coupled with how much the landlord will let you do.

Isolated walls and floated floor and ceiling if done properly and double drywalled can be quite effective. What's going on in the 'shop area'?

Bryan
The shop area is where my wife makes her pottery and I build stuff (small machine shop).

As long as I take it when I leave, I can do pretty much anything I want to in there. So I'll be signing a looong lease
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbmotorshop View Post
When looking at the picture, the horizontal length is 58' 3" and the vertical, 39'.

I was reading a book last night called "Building a Recording Studio" by Jeff Cooper, it looks like, without getting into the expense of concrete walls, a floated double wall with a floating floor looks like my best bet.

My wife's main concern is being able to have a quiet room when tracking.
KMB,

The dimensions for the studio area are what we really need.

But i am assuming around 20' wide, with the live room around 26' long and the CR about 13'. Is that about right?

Bryan's right about the budget. That's the next question.
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
KMB,

The dimensions for the studio area are what we really need.

But i am assuming around 20' wide, with the live room around 26' long and the CR about 13'. Is that about right?

Bryan's right about the budget. That's the next question.
Those dimensions are about right. I was thinking of situating the control room perpindicular to the tracking room (if it would make any difference)

This is going to be done in stages...the first concern being building the wall between the studio and the shop area. I've figued that it's going to cost around 1500 for that wall alone. It will have to be a tracking room/control room for a while.

This place has concrete floors, so they may not vibrate as much as say a house would. The ceilings are 20 feet high and arched toward the middle of the room, with exposed wood beams.

In my mind, building the outer studio wall all the way to the ceiling would sound the best (more cubic volume). The control room will have shorter ceilings so I can build another room on top of it in the future.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds like the shop won't be an issue per se for noise containment. The sheer distance between the studio and the sleeping cove is a big benefit. If you do the physical decoupling/isolation correctly, that part should be a non-issue.

Bryan
Old 25th February 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

Looks like you are getting good advice so far. I do highly recommend getting Rod Gervais' book, Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros. Best studio build book I know of.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

there are so many ways you could do this. and the bummer is that so many of them could not work properly.

the basics, as you may know, are two leaf wall designs, with properly floated floors, or floors that are massive. (i.e. the concrete you're talking about may be massive enough. even though i have concrete floors, i have still floated another 120mm thick concrete slab on top of that using Sylomer Elastomer. I wasn't prepared to build the walls only to find out that there is flanking that would make tha investment useless.)

this is the image that sealed the deal for me.

http://www.bobgolds.com/FloatingRoom.GIF

deal simple, to the point. if you have the money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search