The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Long control room: 11' x 23'
Old 23rd February 2008
Here for the gear

Cool Long control room: 11' x 23'

Greetings, everyone!

My finished basement room is a long rectangle, 11' x 23'. The walls are sheetrock, and floor is carpeted, and the ceiling is a rather low drop ceiling at a little over 7'.

I'm looking to make it into a control room for accurate mixing, and possibly overdubbing later on. (I'll eventually construct a separate tracking room in my two-car garage.) I'm aware of the general bass trapping and sound absoption issues that I'll be dealing with, but I'm wondering if those issues are made better or worse by the length of this room.

I need to decide whether to try to use the whole room, or to use the space in one end to construct an iso booth for vocals and guitar. I imagine that I could still treat the room as effectively if I used something like 1/3 of it to put the iso booth in.

BTW, the doorway into the room is midway along one of the 23' walls. Also, there's another 16" - 18" available above the drop ceiling, if I remove it.

Has anyone ever dealt with a room shaped like this?
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

my CR is not too different to yours other than the height. 20.5' x 13'. The real difference comes in with the height, 9.5'.

The link below is to a post by the Eric Desart, he of great acoustic knowledge and awesome friendliness and help.

Acoustics :: View topic - ROOM RATIOS: M.M. LOUDEN ANALYSIS

Using the information on that page, it looks like reducing the length of the room to 15', (14.98' to be exact, although 15.4' would be an option too) could produce some favourable results, if you leave your height at 7' and reduce the width to 10.5'.

In the post you'll notice a section called: "Some best ratios". The dimensions above were calculated using the "Flat Room" option.
Old 23rd February 2008
One great thing about having a drop ceiling is that you can just stick rockwool above the panels!
Old 23rd February 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinonMusic View Post
My finished basement room is a long rectangle, 11' x 23'. The walls are sheetrock, and floor is carpeted, and the ceiling is a rather low drop ceiling at a little over 7'.
You might benefit from shortening the room a few feet, but I wouldn't necessarily use the extra space for a booth. I'm not a fan of booths because they sound small and boxy unless you fill them with a lot of treatment.

Quote:
Also, there's another 16" - 18" available above the drop ceiling, if I remove it.
Well that changes everything. A room's dimensions are to the rigid boundaries, and a drop ceiling is not rigid. My best suggestion is to use my ModeCalc program:

RealTraps - ModeCalc

The description on the above page explains all of this in detail. If you post your room's exact dimensions, and to the rigid floor above for the height, I'll be better able to suggest what to do next.

--Ethan
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

my bad. i didn't read the whole post

Ethan's right, it is to rigid boundaries.
Old 7th March 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks, guys, for the helpful replies. I'll re-measure to the floor above the drop ceiling and post those dimensions soon. Maybe I'll forgo the booth, and go ahead and convert the garage into a large live tracking room for drums (and vox, and everything else).
Old 7th March 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Atlanta, GA USA / Kashiwa, Japan
now that is a travel plan I would never want to do on a on going basics.heh What a 16 hour travel?

Glenn
Old 10th March 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
now that is a travel plan I would never want to do on a on going basics.heh What a 16 hour travel?

Glenn
Fourteen-ish nonstop to Narita airport at Tokyo. But only a few times a year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search