The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shape and Spread
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Shape and Spread

These parameters, as they are implemeneted in Lexicon processors, are some of the most useful things to me in achieving the sound I want. I describe their effect as that of a "density envelope," wherein shape determines the overall contour of the density changes over time, and the spread determines the duration over which these changes occur. (Note this is not the same as RT60.)

Does anyone know specifically how these same reverberant qualities would be affected by acoustical factors indoors? What would you need to do to a room to raise or lower its "shape" (in the Lexicon sense) or "spread?"

My inital guess is this: The equivalent of high shape (in order for it to be discernable) would only be possible in a reasonably large space, which is either not rectangular, or has many large reflective surfaces within. Spread might be a function of how large that space is, plus the amount of sound energy being directed into the room in the first place.

Can anyone correct me, or add to this?

Thanks very much,
-Ben B

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search