The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
a new plan
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Addict

a new plan

i've been searching for a space to relocate my current studio to. it's a relatively modest setup but one with which i have had good results with. i have build a good roster of clients and feel i could get more with a new more "special feeling" space than if i invested in a bunch of new gear..

the problem i have faced is that the city where i live has NOTHING to offer... it was levelled in wwII so most of the commercial space is only 50 years old, no barns or decent old brick buildings etc all prefab 1950's stuff which is now being torn down for newer modern commercial builds which cost an insane ammount of money to lease ie literally half my turn over...

outside of town there are a few more options but will i lose work because i'm not so easy to get to etc who knows!!

so this is where i'm at now... the building i currently use is built beneath a bridge with meters of brick and concrete either way meaning there is no outside noise at all! even when cars go over the bridge you can hear nothing! my control room is arched and very small (usable space about 6ft by 8ft) and petty much acoustically a nightmare but i've done my best and i can work ok in it.. my live room is also arched but large (24 x 18 ft) ... the rest of the building is a rehearsal space for band and it has a large foyer ajoined to my live room approx 30x18 ft in which my colleague (who runs the rehearsal space) has said i can do work on the property so i have come up with this plan...

to build a control room in the foyer following the arch of the building like such

and then deck out the live room in a more tradtitional pro studio lay out... ie get the room checked out but an acoustician, follow his advice with plenty of trapping and diffusion etc.

i just wondered what people thought of the project... any pitfalls or problems with the shape of the control room etc.. the idea is that the space i use for control now can be turned over as a chill out space etc..

well as allways all advice is welcome!

thanks neil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search