The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
room constructed.need help with absorbers
Old 23rd January 2008
Here for the gear

room constructed.need help with absorbers

I have just remodeled my drum room. It exists inside my 20x20 garage. I play and teach drums and want to do some recording as well.

Room dimensions are:

10'x14' by 10' cathedral ceiling.

The walls are:
2x4
Mineral wool
5/8 MDF
1/2 Homasote
5/8 drywall

The ceiling is constructed with mass loaded vinyl, drywall and commercial grade acoustical ceiling treatment.

The floor is painted concrete covered 60% by carpet.

My basic question is how can I calculate the number of Absorber Panels I will need? I plan on constructing them myself, in the more or less typical size of 24"x48".

I will construct the bass traps alá "Super Chunk".

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Chuck Silverman
Los Angeles, Ca
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Guru

Hey Chuck what you are going to want to do is just cover as many corners as you can in the room to bass trap. You can never have enough bass trapping. Beyond that you will want to put some 2" panels on the side walls to help with the over all decay time in the room.

Glenn
Old 25th January 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

You will definitely need some bass traps in there, as Glenn suggests. You have two identical dimensions (10'x10'x14') so the room modes at those frequencies will double-up.

I'd also consider treatments that preserve the liveness of the space, although that's a bit of a small drum room, you can still make it sound good and live with membrane absorbers, slot resonators, diffusors, etc etc. But this is more of a personal taste thing, a deader room may be just want you want.
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
You will definitely need some bass traps in there, as Glenn suggests. You have two identical dimensions (10'x10'x14') so the room modes at those frequencies will double-up.

I'd also consider treatments that preserve the liveness of the space, although that's a bit of a small drum room, you can still make it sound good and live with membrane absorbers, slot resonators, diffusors, etc etc. But this is more of a personal taste thing, a deader room may be just want you want.
I would disagree, don't make it dead, but I would not want any kind of 10x10x14 sound on any of my tracks. I would go for the room to be as neutral as possible.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search