The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Green Glue Users care to comment?
Old 22nd January 2008
Any Green Glue Users care to comment?

I've been attracted to the idea of using Green Glue. However, we decided not to use it while building our walls because there didn't seem to be enough actual feedback on the "real" effectiveness of the product. The guy that designed my room read the specs and felt that other products could yield a similar result at a fraction of the cost.

I may have the opportunity to use Green Glue on a much smaller project...an amp iso box. Unfortunately,it appears you can only buy this expensive glue by the case.

So...any users out there willing to tell their tales of amazement regarding this product?
Also, if anyone has a few tubes left over I might be interested in purchasing them.

Thanks.
Jim
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I used 27 cases on my build. We even used it between every single joint and subfloor.
A case is only good for 4-6 sheets of drywall.

Sorry.... none left over...

Regards,
Bruce
Old 22nd January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

the stuff works good. I actually just completed my build with QuietGlue, which is very similar. it was actually a little cheaper, and there was no nasty smell.

i didn't use it between all joints, but i did use it between all layers, and I'm pretty dang pleased - from everything i can tell, it's helped greatly.
Old 23rd January 2008 | Show parent
How bad is the smell...toxic, just nasty or both?
How long did it take to cure?
Old 23rd January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

If interested,

Recently there was a discussion about the comparison of Green Glue and Quiet Glue.

Quiet Glue vs. Green Glue - I've done a search here on this subject but cannot find opinions or comparisons. If you know of a thread please direct me to it. Quiet Glue: http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietglue.html Green Glue: http://www.greenglue

The product clearly does not perform the same.
Measurements are executed by Green Glue to compare the product.

Functionally Green Glue seems cheaper.

I've used Green Glue on several occassions. It's a good product.
Old 24th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
How bad is the smell...toxic, just nasty or both?
How long did it take to cure?
It isn't toxic.

Curing time is very long. You can judge the final effect only after weeks.
Old 24th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I believe Audio Alloy specs 30 days to fully cure. It's effectiveness improves over time as the curing process progresses.

I've spec'd it for a lot of rooms and I've not had any complaints. I know I'll use it on my next room.

Bryan
Old 25th January 2008 | Show parent
JWL
Lives for gear

Green Glue is very effective, and they are good members of the acoustics community as they have sponsored extensive testing on their site:
Soundproofing Topics

I agree it's expensive, but it does work well. If you have the space and labor power, extra layers of sheetrock may work as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
Green Glue is very effective, and they are good members of the acoustics community as they have sponsored extensive testing on their site:
Soundproofing Topics

I agree it's expensive, but it does work well. If you have the space and labor power, extra layers of sheetrock may work as well.
I agree these guys have more detailed info on wall contruction than anyone I know.
The thing that gets me is how different the numbers can be from different companies on the same material. Such as the limp mass, one company states a STC of 51, and the Green Glue co. state the same material as a STC of 45. That's a pretty big difference...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Desart View Post
If interested,

Recently there was a discussion about the comparison of Green Glue and Quiet Glue.

Quiet Glue vs. Green Glue - I've done a search here on this subject but cannot find opinions or comparisons. If you know of a thread please direct me to it. Quiet Glue: http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietglue.html Green Glue: http://www.greenglue

The product clearly does not perform the same.
Measurements are executed by Green Glue to compare the product.

Functionally Green Glue seems cheaper.

I've used Green Glue on several occassions. It's a good product.
I didn't mean to say it was the same, only similar. not that i'm a spokesman for them or anything, but i get headaches easily and the fact that it has really no smell to it at all was a plus. additionally, i believe that they consider their product to be fully cured within 24 hours, where as the green glue takes longer, all that really means to me is that i can better assess the full impact of the products effect on my room more easily/quickly.

don't get me wrong, i think green glue is great
Old 26th January 2008 | Show parent
So do you guys think the additional cost for Green Glue is warranted over Quiet Glue?

My walls are up. I'm now thinking about an iso booth for guitar cabs.
Lives for gear

I used GG in my wall construction as well, and the results have been fantastic! I have nothing to compare it to however, so I cannot say for sure that I would not have been as happy without it. I think that the entire process adds up to sound transmission reduction, and I am very glad that I did not cut any corners as my room sounds fantastic (and quiet!!!)
Gear Nut

Quote:
So do you guys think the additional cost for Green Glue is warranted over Quiet Glue?
I'm not thinking that ......, official lab tests proved it did.
Only 25% Green Glue coverage beats 100% Quiet Glue coverage. See the thread I linked.
Hence comparing both is a simple calculation.

The other question of course remains: Do you need Green Glue or whatever alternative at all?
It has only sense to strengthen links in a chain, when these chains are the weak links defining the overall insulation.
Strengtening a already strong or stronger link doesn't make the chain as a whole stronger.
Isolation is mainly defined by the weakest link.

And if you don't need the additional isolation, than it's lost money. Hence it depends on your goals and purpose.
Green Glue doesn't improve a studio. Green Glue does improve TL where applied. If sensible and needed it's likely the best related product available.
Lives for gear

I looked at this material, Green Glue and Quietrock before the last studio I built and desided to go with the old standard stuff that has worked for years.
Something that's available down the street when you run out is a time saver.
I did some tests after the walls were built and they exceded my expectations.
So the old standard staggered stud or double wall works very well.
Old 27th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
So the old standard staggered stud or double wall works very well.
Id does work, since enormous amounts of walls are build without GG fulfilling their purpose.

But we can't deny that Green Glue, improves whatever principle one builds his walls on by increasing the internal damping by use of CLD (constrained layer damping). This internal damping and its influence on TL is a for ages known and described physical principle.
Only before Green Glue, there wasn't much available which could influence this phenomenon in a manner significantly enough, to make such an application worth while.

A real life story (I entered before at John Sayers):

A story:

An old building (+/- 100 years).
Destructive testing not allowed, or to be avoided due to architectural value and limitations.
Nobody has an idea about the exact structure.
I have a ceiling with some strange extremely hard board (looks like cement board, but how old?).
When I knocked on it, that ceiling and a lot with it starts singing at +/- 42 Hz (more like a gong):

BOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

I didn't want to demount that ceiling. Some small drilled holes and testing showed a very large cavity (around 50 to 60 cm, at least on the tested spots) without any absorption.
No idea if that cavity went much further than the boundaries of that room (it went further on 2 sides, but how and where, and outside drilling holes was no option). We felt joists, but couldn't imagine well how that construction was build.

I wanted to test GG here, not sure (even only partly believing) it could help me out here. Hence we searched for joists within the room boundaries, and mounted one 12.5 mm gypsumboard with GG.

About 7 to 10 days later (can't remember exactly). I knocked on that (high) ceiling. It was a bit better but still:

BOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

I thought "damned, not worth the trouble and energy", searching for another way.
+/- 1 month later, I tried again, just for the fun of it, and because others told me they had the impression it was improved. There was no way anymore I could trigger that resonance (and I really tried). The result:

BOING.

This was the first time I was directly and audibly confronted with the real-life effect of that long curing time.

But I still agree: GG is only another and additional means to improve stuff. If one doesn't need it it has no sense to apply it. It's still a relative costly application.
But it's very good in what it sais it does.
And it makes difficult things as preserving TL on Window frames, door frames and all these other risky weak points very forgiving.
Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

To add to Eric Desart's post above, here is a video from YouTube of the effectiveness of Green Glue.

Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

wow, that video was amazing.
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

This has the lowest impact rating of anything on the market including MLV. I used it when I built my studio to dampen the impact noise from footfalls above coupled with ISO springs from sound kinetics. What was a significant nuisance before is a MUTE issue now.
Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Just got through doing and install using 5 gal bucket and refillable caulk gun. Don't know yet how effective it will be as it is not dry yet. really easy to work with. pretty much no odor at all, about the same as latex caulk.

I have 5 gals left for sale in berkeley, ca.

bought mine at the soundisolationstore.com

great customer services and prices.
Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Green Glue Results

QuincyG,

Just wanted to hear the outcome by using Green Glue. Are you happy? Is there really a difference after it cures?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been attracted to the idea of using Green Glue. However, we decided not to use it while building our walls because there didn't seem to be enough actual feedback on the "real" effectiveness of the product. The guy that designed my room read the specs and felt that other products could yield a similar result at a fraction of the cost.

I may have the opportunity to use Green Glue on a much smaller project...an amp iso box. Unfortunately,it appears you can only buy this expensive glue by the case.

So...any users out there willing to tell their tales of amazement regarding this product?
Also, if anyone has a few tubes left over I might be interested in purchasing them.

Thanks.
Jim
Not to knock the product, because it does work. But I was told the exact same thing by two top studio design firms..."very similar results with cheaper standard materials".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundIso View Post
To add to Eric Desart's post above, here is a video from YouTube of the effectiveness of Green Glue.

SoundIso....I saw that youtube video a while back. Seems to demonstrate the product well. Were any videos like this recorded that compared GG directly to similar glues or even standard off the shelf adhesives(liquid nails, silicon, etc)?
Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post

SoundIso....I saw that youtube video a while back. Seems to demonstrate the product well. Were any videos like this recorded that compared GG directly to similar glues or even standard off the shelf adhesives(liquid nails, silicon, etc)?
Standard off the shelf adhesive products will not work - when you begin gluing sheets together you effectively create a single sheet - which will NOt reat the same as 2 or more sheets using green glue.

GREEN GLUE IS NOT GLUE.........

Rod
Old 7th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
Standard off the shelf adhesive products will not work - when you begin gluing sheets together you effectively create a single sheet - which will NOt reat the same as 2 or more sheets using green glue.

GREEN GLUE IS NOT GLUE.........

Rod
you seem to be very defensive to a point were you either did not read or chose to ignore my questions/ statements. As I said before, its not a penis measuring contest. So cool out with the BS. You also should never " assume" that others have no knowledge of studio construction

I simply asked if there were any videos done exactly like the one posted above that compares GG to adhesives to show any advantage. Nothing more nothing less.
Gear Nut

I want to build a window-plug by the end of the summer--MDF and wood frame.. dimensions will be approximately 4" deep x 56" high x 36" wide. Essentially, a case that would go from the window ledge into the window "route", with some sort of sealing rubber on the sides and a latch to press against the wall sides in order to seal. The case would also house mineral wool and a have MAYBE some fabric, like a typical acoustic absorber into the plug. I was wondering if something like this Green Glue would help me with that project--but I'd only need like 1 tube of that, a very small amount. I'm not looking into totally isolate the room which would be nearly impossible, but to simply stop most sound traveling through that window.

I was thinking of something like Green GLue for putting together all parts of the frame, and wondering whether I need some screws as well for strength, and whether having screws would simply render GG's main purpose useless (since they'd pass vibration from one piece of solid material to the other). Also, if an idea like this one is simply a lost cause. By the way, this is for a simple non-pro home studio...so like I said, the goal is to reduce sound travel, not to totally eliminate it.
Gear Nut

The vid was great, but...Apparently this thing is not good for "structure-critical" points of contact as it shifts around maybe too much?

All of a sudden I thought of using everywhere for frames for acoustic absorbers, etc, but not sure now...

Also, yup, it is expensive and makes the DYI approach for MY purposes a bit less of an affordable, reasonable option.

Hmm...
Old 22nd February 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Not to knock the product, because it does work. But I was told the exact same thing by two top studio design firms..."very similar results with cheaper standard materials".
There is definitely more than one way to isolate sound. Setting up a retrofit staggered stud wall with a layer or two of drywall will give a very good rating without having to deal with any 'exotic' sound isolation products. Setting up a resilient sound clip system will provide better results than both a staggered stud wall and Green Glue. It is more complicated in terms of planning for electrical work, doors, and windows, but it does cost less per square foot than Green Glue.

So I wouldn't really look at Green Glue as the greatest performing product or concept ever thought up. However, it is the highest performing product of its type and it doesn't really cost that much per square foot. Anybody can apply it so you can save on hiring out labor for building staggered stud walls or installing clips, etc., and Green Glue can be used in retrofit installations without demolition of existing drywall to the studs. So depending on the situation, Green Glue may be the best product or method (damping) that can be used.

Quote:
The other glue tested, I assume, was some type of Liquid Nails or equivalent. So in the video you can hear the difference between the damping abilities of an actual adhesive between two materials compared to the damping of Green Glue between two materials. But if you compared Green Glue to a product like Decibel Drop you wouldn't notice much difference. The big difference between Decibel Drop and Green Glue is that Green Glue is cheaper and more readily available. Decibel Drop rates a couple STC points lower than Green Glue, but not enough to be considered an audible difference.

If you compared Green Glue to QuietGlue then the difference would be more noticeable. QuietGlue is simply not a very flexible product compared to either Green Glue or Decibel Drop. QuietGlue also varies in consistency and if you look at the product specs for QuietGlue you'll see that it is manufactured in a way to allow for a wider range of flexibility than both Green Glue and Decibel Drop. I don't know why, it just is.

We have reviewed any glue that claims to isolate sound and Green Glue and Decibel Drop are the two that rate the best and have the same specs.

That is why we sell both Green Glue and Decibel Drop. : )
Old 21st April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I agree with gainstages. Quietglue is cheaper. Since they all are kind of made up of the same stuff, why not choose quietglue which is about $30 cheaper.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanaC View Post
I agree with gainstages. Quietglue is cheaper. Since they all are kind of made up of the same stuff, why not choose quietglue which is about $30 cheaper.
Green Glue is more effective acoustically. That is on what test data is available for Quietglue. If it is not tested, it is suspect, and into the acoustical world of interpoaltion and extrapolation.

Andre
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanaC View Post
Apparently you missed the post from Eric above - the one where he stated (in response to the question: So do you guys think the additional cost for Green Glue is warranted over Quiet Glue?) the following:

Quote:
I'm not thinking that ......, official lab tests proved it did.
Only 25% Green Glue coverage beats 100% Quiet Glue coverage. See the thread I linked.
Hence comparing both is a simple calculation.
What you say is like comparing Radio Shack microphones to Sure microphones......... since they are made up of the same sort of stuff - why not just buy the RS which are much cheaper than Sure mics?

Or perhaps the Yugo Automobile to a Mercedes - after all - they are both made of of some steel and other stuff that's sort of the same.

Sorry - you can use 2 layers of drywall with green glue in between for about the cost of 3 layers of drywall - and get the result of 4 layers of drywall in return.

Seeing as you need to buy and install 4 times as much quietglue to acheive the same result as Green GLue - there is no cost saving.

Rod
Gear Addict

Folks, JoanaC is with Quiet Solutions. She posted similar blanket comments all over the internet last night.
📝 Reply